Quote Originally Posted by Thatusernameisalreadyused View Post
In studying the split times of Billy Bland, Stuart Bland and Mark Hartell (http://www.thebunyans.plus.com/mh/fe...fastestBG.html) there seem to be a few interesting variations, where Billy has moved significantly faster than the other two - suggesting maybe a somewhat different route?
It will probably be down to individual strengths and weaknesses.

Major variations:-
Steel Fell - Calf Crag
Can't think of anything here that would shave significant time off the obvious route along the path.
Scafell - Wasdale
The major variations have already been discussed on this thread.
Red Pike - Steeple
Short of noting to go to the left of a particular boulder rather than the right there is nothing much to consider here, Maybe Billy recovered from the climb up to Red Pike better.
Kirkfell - Great Gable
There was something on here last year about the Ennerdale - Billy Bland was apparently at Beck Head pointing out some ramps to get up onto Kirkfell.

Minor variations:-
Green Gable - Brandreth
You can either follow the path or keep to the Ennerdale side, not sure which is quicker.
Hindscarth - Robinson
The only real option here is whether to follow the fence up Robinson from the col or go direct. I've no times to compare for this.

Also, Mark has several instances where he's significantly slower than the other two (eg. his descent to Thelkeld). Obviously he may have had a problem or stopped for a break or whatever, but maybe there's an alternative that the Blands knew that Mark didn't!
I've heard mention of heading down one of the gills to the side of Halls Fell but don't know the route.

I presume, as no one's mentioned (and I've not found) anything, that there is no proper writeup of Mark's, Billy's or Stuart's attempts?
I'm fairly sure that there was something in the Westmorland Gazette about Billy's run - perhaps quarter of a page - I remember reading it at the time.

Bob