Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday ideas for IOM

Holiday ideas for IOM

I know there are one or two Manxmen/women (hope that's the right term) on here. I'm planning to take the family over in the summer, so does any one have any advice on good spots -and are there any good beaches (preferably near hills) (Can't make the MM at Easter unfortunately).

Cheers.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Re: Holiday ideas for IO

Sorry buggered up title should be IOM .

Re: Holiday ideas for IOM

Beaches near hills - that's pretty much the Isle of Man to a T!!

Around the South West Coast there's hills which drop right down to the Sea- there's a place called Fleshwick on the Mtn Marathon, and the old Patrick fell race used to drop right down to a checkpoint on a beach before climbing back up to the Summit of Cronk Neary Laa.

Peel where there is a nice sandy beach also has Peel Hill on the opposite side of the harbour. Not Mega high, but there are a few hills races on it throughout the year.

Laxey has a nice beach and again it is not far to run offroad to Snaefell, plus a few other hills in the area (there used to be a race called the Laxey Horshoe which started and finished at the Prom.

Going up to Maughold + Ramseu there are beaches and it's not far away to North Barrule if you fancy a run.

Although not as easy to access the hils from, but there is a nice beach at the Dhoon, which cannot be accessed from the car (you park at the Tram Station/get off the tram there) and can walk (run if you are inclined) down to the sea & back up from it later.

There's also Port Erin, which although not right next to the hills is the finish for the old Bradda Fellrace and the mountain Marathon, and which has a nice beach + the Sound (which had quite a lot of footpaths on it also climbing if you're interested and a folk museum and visitors centre), and Bradda Head to the right of it.

Not sure where you are most interested in, but if you get the OS map out and see what sort of locations take your fancy, let us know on here, and I and other manxies will be able to tell you what they're like.

Lots of Glens and costal footpaths, some of which have steep climbs, beaches next to them. and are nice for trail runs.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

I recommend it - great!! Something for every-one

Thanks for that - OS map is next and then I'll be back to pick your brains again!

Lived there for four years and my wife is Manx. Great place; something for everyone, just as Brett and Allan say... recommended.

Dunno how old the family are, but there are great beaches at Laxey and Peel; great scenery all over; steam and electric railways; glens to amble through; the Manx Museum in Douglas and plenty of pubs all over; try and spot some seals at Maughold or Peel Castle.

Of course, I didn't do any of this stuff when I lived there... you always leave it 'til you go back don't you.

Check out the tourist board website and see what's on when you plan to go over.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post

Of course, I didn't do any of this stuff when I lived there... you always leave it 'til you go back don't you.
    On the contrary, I was brought up doing all those things. Maybe I was lucky, but we were always going out and looking at things. Funny but on an Island about 39 by 10 miles there was still something new to see all the time!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    On the contrary, I was brought up doing all those things. Maybe I was lucky, but we were always going out and looking at things. Funny but on an Island about 39 by 10 miles there was still something new to see all the time!
    And every time we have a local fell race you see something new... not gonna get lost again tomorrow are you???

Quote Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
    And every time we have a local fell race you see something new... not gonna get lost again tomorrow are you???
    Depends if I am racing!!!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to this now, only problem is we have enquired about a few cottages and they are booked up. What is the camping situation like? Me and the kids are happy to camp, but the Mrs is getting increasingly reluctant to. It would have to be a 'four star' type campsite to get her to agree. Any suggestions?