Myth 1: "The only way you'll improve is by training with people better than yourself".

How many times do we hear this? ! I suspect this may be true if you're a sprinter but as a distance runner you're more likely to run yourself ragged if you regularly train with people who are better than you. Why? Because what is a good training speed for them will probably be racing for you, and you'll leave all your best form in training. You're better off training with slower runners, that way YOU can be in control.

For example I race roughly every fortnight on average (26 races a year) although if I was to train with say Simon Bailey on average once a week (which I don't) and pushed myself to try and keep up with him each time, then I'd effectively be 'racing' (26+52) 78 times a year. Too much in anyone's book.

It may do your confidence the world of good to keep up with superior runners but you have to remind yourself that they are probably just cruising (or look where they finish in races compared to you!). To conclude, mix with better runners yes, listen to them and gain inspiration. And yes train hard. But remember training is a personal thing.