Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Derby/Staffs Guide

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Wanted: Derby/Staffs Guide

Hello forumites,

As part of my job driving round the country, I've managed to wangle 3 days in the Derby/Leek/Stafford area.

This means two overnights and I'm looking to use somewhere on the edge of the Peaks as a base so I can get a good couple of runs in them there hills.

Couple of questions then for those of you familiar with this area:

1) I'm looking at hotels along the A523/A52 stretch of road. I've got one (Dog & Partridge Country Inn) in Swinscoe, a couple of possibilities in Ashbourne, and a few in Derby . Where would it be best base myself if I'm looking to get a couple of runs in? Not necessarily name of hotel, just location will do.

2) Based on any advice you give me for my base, do you know any good runs I could do, preferably with a link to an on-line map or well-posted trail? Anything between 1-2 hours.

3) Anyone want to meet up and show me round their 'manor' ((TM) that muppet off the Real Football Factories on Bravo) and come round a couple of runs with me on Weds+Thurs 6th+7th August?

If anyone is interested in coming out with me, I am still a newbie, and though not afraid to plod on for a couple of hours, I'm certainly not the fastest. So if anyone wants a medium paced run in the Peaks for a couple of hours on what will, without fail(?), be a lovely summer's evening, let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Super Moderator

Re: Wanted: Derby/Staffs Guide

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Hello forumites,

As part of my job driving round the country, I've managed to wangle 3 days in the Derby/Leek/Stafford area.

This means two overnights and I'm looking to use somewhere on the edge of the Peaks as a base so I can get a good couple of runs in them there hills.

Couple of questions then for those of you familiar with this area:

1) I'm looking at hotels along the A523/A52 stretch of road. I've got one (Dog & Partridge Country Inn) in Swinscoe, a couple of possibilities in Ashbourne, and a few in Derby . Where would it be best base myself if I'm looking to get a couple of runs in? Not necessarily name of hotel, just location will do.

2) Based on any advice you give me for my base, do you know any good runs I could do, preferably with a link to an on-line map or well-posted trail? Anything between 1-2 hours.

3) Anyone want to meet up and show me round their 'manor' ((TM) that muppet off the Real Football Factories on Bravo) and come round a couple of runs with me on Weds+Thurs 6th+7th August?

If anyone is interested in coming out with me, I am still a newbie, and though not afraid to plod on for a couple of hours, I'm certainly not the fastest. So if anyone wants a medium paced run in the Peaks for a couple of hours on what will, without fail(?), be a lovely summer's evening, let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey up southernsoftie

I think I'd be inclinined to stay in Ashbourne if I was you - if you want to go out in the Peak it'd be better than being in Derby. I'd perhaps have a run up Dovedale toward Hartington although if you do avoid day time - it'll be mobbed out and early morning or evening would be best. Try and get hold of an White Peak 1:25,000 OS map - the High Peak Trail might not be a bad idea either if you're wanting to follow a waymarked run. Another option is the Roaches area near Leek. Have fun!

Oh, and watch out for the speed cameras - there's loads on the road to Belper and up towards Leek too!

Ah, so that's why you're called Derby Tup!!

Thanks for the tips. Yeah the cameras are a right pain - got some beautiful roads in the area. I've been in the area a few times with work, but it's always been get up early, drive down, do the do (like Betty Boo), and come home again, so quite a luxury to be able to stay and enjoy the hills.

Just had a look at those routes and they look good. Also found a 9.5mi route that takes in Crome Hill, Parkhouse Hill, and Higher Wheeldon, starting and finishing in Longnor. What do you know of that one?

Again any takers for a run on either day, PM me. Derby Tup?

Super Moderator

Sorry southernsoftie but I live as far away from Ashbourne as you nowadays; between Skipton and Ilkley! Your other route sounds good - interesting scenery, popular place of interest for geography field trips etc and much less touristy than Dovedale area

There's a 9 miler that I did a while back, starts from just north of Ashbourne in Thorpe.

http://www.northernboyslovegravy.co.uk/dovedale.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Sorry southernsoftie but I live as far away from Ashbourne as you nowadays; between Skipton and Ilkley! Your other route sounds good - interesting scenery, popular place of interest for geography field trips etc and much less touristy than Dovedale area
    Probably just as well you can't make it DT. Just had my first run follwing a 3 week lay off after an op. I will have to downgrade myself from my optimistic 'medium pace' to definite slow!! A couple of weeks left to make an improvement, but I wouldn't want to disappoint!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    There's a 9 miler that I did a while back, starts from just north of Ashbourne in Thorpe.
    Thanks for the tips on the route. As I'm there for two nights I should be able to do a couple. I'll probably go with ones that combine interesting with ease of navigation/route info available - especially as I don't know the area at all and will probably be Billy no mates. The map for your run dominion is a real help, ta.

Will make my mind up nearer the time - depending what else has been suggested, or what I dig up, and put my decision on this thread in case anyone else wants to join me. Again, if anyone does, PM me.

Cheers

Going this week and decided on my 2 runs for Weds/Thurs.

Weds:
    http://www.northernboyslovegravy.co.uk/dovedale.pdf
    Aiming for 1800 start.

Thurs:
    http://www.snapthepeaks.co.uk/Walks/Chrome/chrome.htm
    Aiming for 1700 start.

If anyone wants to come along PM me. As an indicator of pace, did the Pendle Cloughs Race last weekend and came in in 3h47 (28th).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Had a cracking time with these runs.

This one took 2h15mins, but that included some time for getting off route and pulling myself back, plus, I felt that at times it took you very close to a couple of big hills without going up them. So I thought it would be a shame to come all that way without taking in at least one, so at the end I detoured to the top of Thorpe Cloud, and took a 10 minute rest before the descent and last mile or so to the car. Mainly this was for the view. I had the whole hill to myself and it was so clear I could see for miles - so with nothing but the sound of sheep chewing, I decided to just take some time to enjoy it.

Without the hill, I'd say this was more of a cross country run over fields with only two other - brief - climbs of note (out of Milldale and a final climb over a ridge before Thorpe Cloud comes into view for the last time). Still got some lovely scenery, especially the descent into Milldale at the top of the run. I did get a bit scared when in two fields I started getting chased by cows. In one I tried walking to the next stile, arms outstretched doing some 'cow whispering' (basically shushing them). The next time, I just decided to make a run for it. It seemed they were going to charge through the wall, when at the last minute they veered off to the side. Never knew cows were so quick!

This was much better hill wise. Took just over 2h. Again, lost the route once when I missed a stile, and again spent some time at the top of the 3 main hills just enjoying the peace and the views – Crome Hill especially. Quite a bit of tarmac on the roads and lanes which complete the circuit but the hills made up for this. Got my revenge on the cows on this one too. Came into one field, and by now I was just trying to avoid eye-contact, but they turned from me and started running. Glad they didn’t realise there was more of them than me before I got across the cattle grid!

Anyway, thanks Dom and DT for your input. Had a really good time. Some stunning country down that way. Glad I went.

Almost 1 year to the day I find myself stopping in an Ashbourne hotel and looking to redo one of these runs. Probably go with a shortened version of the NBLG route out of Thorpe. I canny wait!! Anyone in the area want to join me, let me know.

Will be Weds, aiming for 1800 start.

Been sat in the hotel like a lemon waitning for a work's call. Stuff it: I'm off now.