Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full tour pendle 8th november

Re: Full tour pendle 8th novem

i have no idea, think i'll stick to the stream

i have a questions about hydration while on a race, if i have a litre of water in my hydro bladder, that's nearly a couple extra pounds to carry. So, would anyone carry water during a race as long as pendle, not just for hydration but for the anti cramp aspect as well (water with nuun in).

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    i have a questions about hydration while on a race, if i have a litre of water in my hydro bladder, that's nearly a couple extra pounds to carry. So, would anyone carry water during a race as long as pendle, not just for hydration but for the anti cramp aspect as well (water with nuun in).
    I would for that one Mark - I usually carry a bottle as find the bladder a bit annoying and feel comfortable carrying a bottle.

I think it depends on the course, for example, if you know there are various streams/crossings etc a plasic bag or 2 with a bit of PSP or Nuun or whatever you use is ideal as is light and compact etc and you can just fill up from the stream.

However if you don't know the course or think you may be thirsty BEFORE the streams etc then the safest bet is to carry it from the off

Hope that helps

cheers hun, think i'll get me a little bottle, and keep hydro bladder for longer distance.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I would for that one Mark - I usually carry a bottle as find the bladder a bit annoying and feel comfortable carrying a bottle.

I think it depends on the course, for example, if you know there are various streams/crossings etc a plasic bag or 2 with a bit of PSP or Nuun or whatever you use is ideal as is light and compact etc and you can just fill up from the stream.

However if you don't know the course or think you may be thirsty BEFORE the streams etc then the safest bet is to carry it from the off

Hope that helps
    1l water = 1kg (not incl bottle, or plastic bag).

To assist with cramp I usually mix a level tsp of salt (or a less depending on how hot likely to be) into a 750ml water bottle.

As for the plastic bag/stream option - on the first half, we crossed a stream on the top on Sunday (after turning left at the stile just after the trig and where we crossed the fence using the stile). There was also a nice stream at the bottom of Emmi's secret descent.

Don't know what the second half provides, but certainly if you can make it to either one of those without needing a drink, then the plastic bag option could work.

Not too sure I'll be experimenting with this on the race though. Will see if I'm allowed out for this recce, I might give it a whirl then.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    1l water = 1kg (not incl bottle, or plastic bag).

To assist with cramp I usually mix a level tsp of salt (or a less depending on how hot likely to be) into a 750ml water bottle.

As for the plastic bag/stream option - on the first half, we crossed a stream on the top on Sunday (after turning left at the stile just after the trig and where we crossed the fence using the stile). There was also a nice stream at the bottom of Emmi's secret descent.

Don't know what the second half provides, but certainly if you can make it to either one of those without needing a drink, then the plastic bag option could work.

Not too sure I'll be experimenting with this on the race though. Will see if I'm allowed out for this recce, I might give it a whirl then.
    There is another stream on the 2nd half at the bottom of some hill or other!! (A pedant will be along soon to put me right!)

Checkpoint 7

i can't also forget that refreshing stream at the bottom of that great descent where we had the audience

I'm going to give a little bottle a try with a nuun tab in it (just one tab in half litre).

That full recce on Saturday 8th will be a nice gentle one southernsoftie as Tony and I will be running a 24 miler the day before from Settle. I will have the harvey race map too, so shouldn't get lost (i hope)

Mountain man and myself are going to have a go at full tour, gentle recce pace 8th nov, anyone else up for it?
    I am running the skyline on Saturday so depending on how I feel Sunday morning I might do the second half again.

just to let ya know, we may only be doing a half of it on saturday due to the 24 miles the day before, if anyone is interested in coming, pm me before 7.30pm and i'll send ya my moby number so we can confirm meeting times

Water stations (stream crossings!!!) at:
    1/2 mile after CP1
    Churn Clough CP3
    Bottom of Geronimo CP4
    Half way between CP4 & CP5
    400m after CP5
    Bottom of Big Dipper CP7
    Pendle Inn CP 11
    Hope this helps, I'm taking bladder in bumbag with NUUN.
    Enjoy
    After climbing a great hill one only finds that there are many more hills to climb ......