Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Sadula's BG website

Mike Sadula's BG website

I suspect that this website is no more.

Following the link on the BG Club site (which I did earlier today having replied to an email from a chap in Hungary who does ultras and fancies the BG) brings up a fantastic picture of Mike on a snowy summit and a few words recording his death.

I am trying to make contact with his family to see what the position is.

There was some good stuff on there and it would be a shame to see it vanish into the ether.

Morgan
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Re: Mike Sadula's BG website

The internet archive has a listing of snapshots of his site - last updated in Oct 2007 according to http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...hamround.co.uk

Clicking on the last link brings up the site and after a quick look round, everything seems to be there. Just need to reset the link on the BG Club site to http://web.archive.org/web/200710250...amround.co.uk/ if you want to keep things as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The internet archive has a listing of snapshots of his site - last updated in Oct 2007 according to http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...hamround.co.uk

Clicking on the last link brings up the site and after a quick look round, everything seems to be there. Just need to reset the link on the BG Club site to http://web.archive.org/web/200710250...amround.co.uk/ if you want to keep things as they are.
    Bob, thanks my friend, you are, as ever, very helpful.

I have been in touch with the family, and they will not be maintianing the site.

Does that mean that, eventually, the material will disappear?

Morgan,

At Blackstone Edge, John Armstrong (a BG vet who ran many MMs with Mike) mentioned that he is looking into Mike's website. He thinks the site is hosted by Keith P at Tod.

Elaine E (Mike's sister I think) has very kindly sent Mike's photo album and training logs to me from his 50 at 50. Notlob is scanning them in and I hope to make them available of the Rochdale Hariers website.

Yesterday I received all of Mike's certificates from Elaine, there must be about fifty from proper, hard events. They include HP40, 2X's, 3P, MMs and numerous other long distance events. One from a half marathon crept in there (1:17!). I will hand these to John Armstrong, Mikes running partner on many of the certificates.

If you need to contact John Armstrong or Elaine pm me.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

BJ

Thanks for the information, and I PM'd you.

Been right round the houses on this, but I have been in touch with the family who are happy for the BG Club to bring the site back up at our expense, and I am hoping that Keith will let me have the pages shortly.

There will be a bit of tidying up to do but my plan is to leave it largely as Mike created it, under the old domain name and to retain the link to it from the BG Club site.

I hope that John A will pen some words about Mike that I can add for future visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    I have been in touch with the family, and they will not be maintianing the site.

Does that mean that, eventually, the material will disappear?
    The site itself will only disappear from where it is currently hosted when the payments cease, if the site is linked to an internet access account that is still in use then the site will remain even if not being maintained.

The material on the archive.org site will remain for as long as that organisation's presence remains, they are tasked with preserving the history of the internet.

BJ

Thanks for the information, and I PM'd you.

Been right round the houses on this, but I have been in touch with the family who are happy for the BG Club to bring the site back up at our expense, and I am hoping that Keith will let me have the pages shortly.

There will be a bit of tidying up to do but my plan is to leave it largely as Mike created it, under the old domain name and to retain the link to it from the BG Club site.

I hope that John A will pen some words about Mike that I can add for future visitors.
    forgive me for this but that site is and was very special to me and i have no doubt many others, in learning about he BGR, a lot of facts, i have met people from there, who were advertising for help, could we not have a race called the Mike Sadula memorial race and proceeds go to the upkeep of the site?? i don't know whats involved in sorting a race out but i am sure i would not be half as much as Mr Sadula had put into our sport??
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    forgive me for this but that site is and was very special to me and i have no doubt many others, in learning about he BGR, a lot of facts, i have met people from there, who were advertising for help, could we not have a race called the Mike Sadula memorial race and proceeds go to the upkeep of the site?? i don't know whats involved in sorting a race out but i am sure i would not be half as much as Mr Sadula had put into our sport??
    Amex, you are a splendid chap.

All being well, the site will live on and the costs of keeping it alive will be met by the BG Club. I will post further when things are clearer.

However, a Mike Sadula Memorial Race or some similar title sounds like a belting idea.

Brummy John. Any Rochdale Harriers who might be up for that?

Sounds like Amex might be prepared to help.

Proceeds to a charity. I'm sure we can find out from the family what might be an appropriate choice.

Amex, you are a splendid chap.

All being well, the site will live on and the costs of keeping it alive will be met by the BG Club. I will post further when things are clearer.

However, a Mike Sadula Memorial Race or some similar title sounds like a belting idea.

Brummy John. Any Rochdale Harriers who might be up for that?

Sounds like Amex might be prepared to help.

Proceeds to a charity. I'm sure we can find out from the family what might be an appropriate choice.
    Well if its in my area Rossendale and Pendle i can get the MR team to supply safety cover, and yes of course i will help, i think Rick aka fell monster has devised a new route that he may put forward if not i can devise one round pendle or well anywhere
    Going to try again....

Mike, was a founder member of the Potteries Marathon Club, later known as PMAC. The club is no longer, but I know all the ex members think very highly of Mike and would love to take part in a memorial event.