Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running with a Jack Russell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    novice

Running with a Jack Russell

I go running with our short legged jack Russell and we have started running as far as 12miles. I’m worried that for a small dog this is over doing it and even though he will keep going it could be doing him some long term harm. Anyone know whether this is an OK distance for a Jack Russell. He is three this Oct.
    All running is off road
    Cheers

Re: Running with a Jack Russel

I don't have a small dog myself, but I've plenty of mates who have, and some of them were out all day doing maybe 40 miles. Obviously the heat is an issue, but make sure they're getting water regularly, and maybe a little bit of food if out for hours. A lot of dogs will let you know if they're over doing it. When mine were pups, they'd just sit down and refuse to move!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    I don't have a small dog myself, but I've plenty of mates who have, and some of them were out all day doing maybe 40 miles. Obviously the heat is an issue, but make sure they're getting water regularly, and maybe a little bit of food if out for hours. A lot of dogs will let you know if they're over doing it. When mine were pups, they'd just sit down and refuse to move!

my dog likes a mini milk when it s hot

Best place for a Jack Russell is in a bog - nasty orrible little snappy yappy things with an inflated opinion of themselves if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    Best place for a Jack Russell is in a bog - nasty orrible little snappy yappy things with an inflated opinion of themselves if you ask me.

ha ha
    a dog in a bog

Wink Re: Running with a Jack Russel

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    ha ha
    a dog in a bog
    if you had a pet duck, you could say "duck in the muck", which would be much funnier. Especially as it would be a fell-running duck, which I've not come across before.

Smile Re: Running with a Jack Russel

I have been up and down places like Scafell Pike with my Tibetan Spaniels.
    The only problem I experienced was that they had to be carried over the big boulder field at the top. Rucksacs were ideal for this with their heads sticking out of the top. Screes ,bogs streams proved little problems only and once they were experienced like us all they took to it like ducks to water. They don't like burnt heather on North Yorks Moors. Otherwise loved it.
    Dave

I have a Jack Russell (short leg type) and go running with a mate who has a Border collie as you say can he can run up to 15 miles, then go home and run around all afternoon, as you say don’t like burnt heather or sharp little stones, the only issues is with walkers feeling sorry for him.

My friend runs with her JD and she takes a foldable water dish, its plastic material, and takes enough water for the dog also, and JD loves it, she says she does upto 20 miles a day, and takes the dog maybe 3 times a week. Better than having a fat dog, which the vet tells you to put it on a diet eh?

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    I go running with our short legged jack Russell and we have started running as far as 12miles. I’m worried that for a small dog this is over doing it and even though he will keep going it could be doing him some long term harm. Anyone know whether this is an OK distance for a Jack Russell. He is three this Oct.
    All running is off road
    Cheers
    ido alot off running with my patterdale terrier (long legged) up pendle hill even doing hill reps up the big end of pendle and she finds it great although sometimes she tends to chase rabbits but she comes back after a call
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.