Thread: Beginner - No Ups & Downs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beginner - No Ups & Downs

Hi!

First of all, i'd like to say hi to everyone and appologise for this post as i'm sure these questions have been asked may times before.

I, like a few people it would appear (having read their similar posts) would love to fell run but are crippled by their unfortunate geographic location.

I live north of london (near luton) and therefore dont have the "ups and downs" available to make for good training.

My questions are:

1) What do people do for training? (is it as simple as lots of road running and excersing the quads in the gym, or running with weights etc?)

2) Whats the best way to get started?
    (My running experiences are currently a few 1/2 marathons and marathons, I also love hiking (Wales and the Lakes), My navigational skills however will need working on)

3) Any general tips would be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

P.S I was in the Lakes over the weekend and saw a good number of fell runnings coming down RedPike at a fair old pace. Well done to all of you, as the weather was awefull.

P.P.S sorry for any typos, gramatical errors,

Master

Re: Beginner - No Ups & Downs

Quote Originally Posted by thof View Post
    Hi!

First of all, i'd like to say hi to everyone and appologise for this post as i'm sure these questions have been asked may times before.

I, like a few people it would appear (having read their similar posts) would love to fell run but are crippled by their unfortunate geographic location.

I live north of london (near luton) and therefore dont have the "ups and downs" available to make for good training.

My questions are:

1) What do people do for training? (is it as simple as lots of road running and excersing the quads in the gym, or running with weights etc?)

2) Whats the best way to get started?
    (My running experiences are currently a few 1/2 marathons and marathons, I also love hiking (Wales and the Lakes), My navigational skills however will need working on)

3) Any general tips would be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

P.S I was in the Lakes over the weekend and saw a good number of fell runnings coming down RedPike at a fair old pace. Well done to all of you, as the weather was awefull.

P.P.S sorry for any typos, gramatical errors,
    Ive only been doing this for 18 months but il try to help
    1) Road running for short speed work, long runs out on the fell
    2) Do trail races and short fell races and move up the distance and ascent as you get more experienced
    3) Hill reps build up leg strength and make sure you are always enjoying yourself
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Hi TurboTom!

Thanks for the post and very useful info, so thanks once again and thanks for taking the time to reply.

My general thinking at the moment is to joing a local running club for general excerise (its finely got too lonley running on my own), and then join a fell running club in probably the Peaks (as its only about a 2 hour drive from where i live) and travel up there when i can.

And as you pointed out, start with some small fell runs and build up. I've been thinking of starting for quite a while now, and having seen the people coming down Red Pike (Buttermere, The Lakes) i'm now going to get started.

The only issue at the moment (ignoring the obvious issues surround me living nowhere near a hill / mountain) is finding some fell running footwear available in a UK14. As my road running shoes will obviously not be fit for purpose

What training do you undertake yourself?

Tom

Master

Ah your onto my training.
    I have done very little since i stopped track running.
    A decent summer week last year was

Monday: 1 or 2 mile swim
    Tuesday; Club Run
    Wednesday; Race
    Thursday: Hill reps
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday; Race or long run
    Sunday: Race or long run

That was only maybe 2 months of last year but im getting back upto that level the day i officially leave school. Thursday
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

thof, I am in a similar position, living in sw London

I got pretty fit last year by taking up british military fitness training - the advantage of that is that as well as raising CV fitness, there's a lot of squats, lunges, tuck jumps, burpees, etc, which really strengthens leg and core muscles. (I reckon good core strength is useful for fell-running.)

Then I take myself off on the train to the North Downs every Saturday morning to get a long hill run in. There are surely hills not far from Luton - it doesn't have to be mountains!

I also do a couple of speed sessions / interval runs in the week to raise the CV fitness.

I find fitness isn't a problem, but there are two areas where lack of fell-time does cost me in races:
    a) ankle strength - I've rolled my ankles a couple of times in both races I've entered and that slows you right up, particularly on ....
    b) descents, which I have yet to gain confidence and speed on - I reckon I was passed by 40 people on descents towards the end of the Duddon race.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 08-06-2009 at 01:09 PM.

hi ZootHornRollo,

thanks for the info, I'm currently running about 10k every other day (with weights) and then a gym swim on saturdays, sundays.

I'm currently missing out on my longer run, but i run for 2 hours at the gym to try and compensate. My main area for improvement will be the navigation side of things i recon.

my 10k (ish) run is usually from work to Finsbury Park station, so its a not flat. But its not providing the incline required to prepare for a large hill.

Are there any fell running clubs in your area?

Thanks for the info once again.

Hi thof
    My daughter lived at Tring for a time and they have a running club that takes part in the FRA relay so that could be your nearest club, not too far away you have the Chiltern Hills and they are good for fell running and I liked run around Tring Park, you do have some lovely country down there( not as good as Yorkshire) I do love races, but like Stolly I love just running, it so natural, hope you get going soon.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound