Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Kit/Crap Kit

Good Kit/Crap Kit

Looks like quite a few folk did long runs today, including Edale, under diabolical conditions.

Anyone learn anything about their kit from this?

For example, on an 18m run a couple of weeks back in awful weather I got mildly hypothermic. Kit: 2 layers on top + pertex jacket, shorts, thermal gloves and PERTEX overtrousers. Lost my hat en route.

Today on a 20m run under diaboloical conditions on essentially the same route I was fine. Kit: running tights, long sleeved shirt, proper wind proof jacket, thermal gloves, thermal hat.

LEARNING: 1) Pertex stuff is great for bumbags but rubbish for long runs in bad conditions; 2) hat is essential in bad conditions (I carried a spare just in case today).
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Master and MR

Re: Good Kit/Crap Kit

well i ran in just normal running shorts today at edale but that didnt bother me, but my gloves were bloody awful, so i would really appreciate some feedback on quality gloves
    my problem would have been i couldnt feel my fingers to get my kit out my bag which i will never make that mistake again
    so a glove recommendation please
    daz

oh and a decent balaclava please

| totally agree re: importance of a hat! I had my buff and hood up at times today (EDALE).
    I did actually run in my pertex thingy (Quencha, polyester top) and found it quite good! Wish I had had better gloves on though!!
    The best bit of advice is always to take more than you expect to use....you never know what the weather will do!
    Thickish, fleecyish leggings were also a winner for me today: I may not have run well, but I had enough kit on!

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    a decent balaclava please
    I've got one of these daz, and I'm pleased with it.

A buff and Helly Hansen type balaclava is a great combination very versatile and was great today easy to adjust and great with hood up/down as necessary. Gloves - I got some buffalos last year for the Derwent Watershed. Fantastic (Althoughmanaged without them today (Just!) Not so good for map reading BUT usually take gloves off to do this any way if using compass, and the advantage is they are easy to take on and off... er they are easily take off and onnable - I would recommend them, very very warm - too warm in fact and you have to keep taking them off so more of a winter glove.
    Last edited by Grouse; 18-03-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Thumbs up Good Kit & gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Brummy John View Post
    Anyone learn anything about their kit from this?
    LEARNING: 1) Pertex stuff is great for bumbags but rubbish for long runs in bad conditions; 2) hat is essential in bad conditions (I carried a spare just in case today).
    Wore my Pertex jacket yesterday twice in the snow for 90 minutes & it was perfect, it kept me dry & warm.

Regards,

Max.

P.S. For spare gloves, use the free gloves from filling stations, they pack away to nothing & are very warm.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

Banned

The Mizuno Wave Harriers did not perform as well as expected on the mud.
    They were OK on the rougher stuff and the flags but let me down on Lose Hill.
    The Montrail Highlander performed better I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    The Mizuno Wave Harriers did not perform as well as expected on the mud.
    They were OK on the rougher stuff and the flags but let me down on Lose Hill.
    The Montrail Highlander performed better I noticed.
    My Swoops were ok but had to get on to the rougher ground up Lose Hill where the snow/hail was.
    The path was far too slippery with mud.
    As far as body cover is concerned I was reasonably warm with a helly, vest, shorts, tracksters, woolly hat, hilly gloves and an M&S caghoul with hood which must be at leat 20 years old. The hood came up every time it hailed and felt very snug. I am sure the caghoul, and the gloves for that matter, wouldn't have coped if we had had heavy rain though.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    some feedback on quality gloves
    my problem would have been i couldnt feel my fingers to get my kit out my bag which i will never make that mistake again
    so a glove recommendation please
    daz
    Buffalo mitts are a good choice. They weigh virtually nothing and pack up well. They aren't waterproof but if they get wet the water drains out and the mitts stay warm. Get a size bigger than you normally would in gloves. The widest part of my palm is 9.5 cm and I have size large.

I've also tried thin fleece gloves with paclite mitts from terra nova but buffalo are simpler.

Also had crap gloves on today....too thin and no warmth

rest of kit was ok, Ronhill leggings, helly boxer shorts, hilly monoskin socks, helly top (not prowool), clubvest, berghause fleece hat , montane 200 jacket

shoes Inov8 330's.....disappointingly, rubbed my right heel badly on the way up loose hill
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy