Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Oh god, kayaking

Re: Oh god, kayaking

Thanks Cougar, Hadn't thought of Ullswater. Sevy was great by the way, thanks for the recommendation. Gave me a bit of a feel for canoeing and paddling. Really fancy doing some kayak touring after bumping into some kayakers at Loch Tarbert who were touring Jura and the Isles.

Ah proper kayaking, none of this messing around on lakes and canals
    The Garvellachs are a special place, you can only really get to by kayak. Just watch out for that big hole near Scarba

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Thanks Cougar, Hadn't thought of Ullswater. Sevy was great by the way, thanks for the recommendation. Gave me a bit of a feel for canoeing and paddling. Really fancy doing some kayak touring after bumping into some kayakers at Loch Tarbert who were touring Jura and the Isles.
    Try and get hold of a copy of 'The canoe Boys' - it was out of print but I think it has been recently republished. If you want any touring inspiration this is it! Cumbria Libraries had a copy a couple of years ago, might still have it. Its the SMOTS of sea kayaking except its not about stats or history - just about two young lads making an incredible journey up the west coast with very basic kit and lots of porridge!

I've read that (while living a stones throw from Mingulay ). Blazing Paddles is almost as good, and very funny. In fact you can still come across Brian doing up the Black Houses in the Uists.

Race at Chester tommorow for me, now then do I go in my new boat and risk falling in and coming last but having a faster race if I stay upright

Or do I go in the slow tank of a boat, stay upright but get past by all the people with faster boats and good balance.

Uhm

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Race at Chester tommorow for me, now then do I go in my new boat and risk falling in and coming last but having a faster race if I stay upright

Or do I go in the slow tank of a boat, stay upright but get past by all the people with faster boats and good balance.

Uhm
    New boat gets my vote!

Go for fast and unstable, and ask your mate to take a cam. We could all enjoy this!

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    I've read that (while living a stones throw from Mingulay ). Blazing Paddles is almost as good, and very funny. In fact you can still come across Brian doing up the Black Houses in the Uists.
    And 'Dancing with Waves' enjoyed that too, I did hear he was about to produce yet another book. I also liked 'A boat in our baggage' I once borrowed a book from the library that I have never been able to find since and I cant remeber the title - it was about a chap doing a solo trip in NW Canada or above over about three summers, he was a tad eccentric (planted a pink flamingo on a stick outside his tent every night I think) - but the book was fascinating. I've never been able to find it since, anyone any ideas what it is?

Had a bit of Nightmare at the race on Sunday on the Dee, I opted for the stable and slower boat. I was pushing for Third place in my division with about 1/4 of a mile to go on a 4 mile race.

A large pleasureboat came past and kicked up a right wash. It sent me flying in, I was suprised that I could stand up in the middle of the Dee. By the time I had got myself to the bank, emptied my boat and got back in everyone had passed me. I came in last in my division.

Did someone say Kayaking was good.

Jamie

No, don't think so. Somebody did say write an article about your trip to Finland for next month's Dash though...