Thread: Faith in mankind

novice

Faith in mankind

About three weeks ago I was driving along and saw two cars crash in front of me. I naturally stopped and checked everyone was Ok and then waited for police and ambulences to arrive. It was cold and going to rain so I gave my jacket to one of the drivers who was clearly in shock. Her mother had arrived as they only live down the road from the accident.
    By the time police/ambulance had arrived I was already very late for work, so gave my statement and then wanted to head off. It was clear it was going to be a while before the drivers were actually in the ambulance. So I agreed with the mother that I would leave my jacket and she would then return it to me at work. I only work down the road from the accident and she said they lived up the road.
    Now naively it never occurred to me that I wouldn’t get my jacket back and stupidly didn’t get their address. My faith in mankind was such that no one would stoop that low after I had gone out of my way to help. Upto this day I haven’t got my jacket back. I have rang the police a couple of times and they have promised to contact them and then get back to me. I have had no response.
    I guess I can’t report it as theft and really don’t know if there is any other avenue I should follow- any ideas.
    It still amazes me that there are people like that! (Also they are not struggling as the driver was in a very nice 4*4)

Bobert

Re: Faith in mankind

maybe they had a good enough reason not to return it. Like;

do i like this jacket? Yes!
    Does it fit me? Yes!
    Right then should i return it to the original owner? No!

The End.

Remember that everyone is a thief and a bastad and you'll never be dissappointed in anyone ever again.

I sympathise with you Novice,

How many weeks ago was it when you left your jacket with them? did you not take the registration number? Why not goto your local radio station, add that you want to know how they are, and that you like some contact. It might work.

Sorry to hear that you did a good thing, and it was treated with no respect!

I think you did a great thing, well done for stopping!
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 12-08-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Just reread it, 3 weeks ago, well maybe they will return it to you!

Why can't you report it as theft? If they've promised to return it and haven't then it is.

I would speak to the police again and threaten to report it as theft - they don't want it registered as such because it adds to their statistics and they have to investigate.

You can be sure they'll contact them then!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    Why can't you report it as theft? If they've promised to return it and haven't then it is.

I would speak to the police again and threaten to report it as theft - they don't want it registered as such because it adds to their statistics and they have to investigate.

You can be sure they'll contact them then!
    I wouldn’t count on the police letting you report the jacket as stolen if you initially lent it to the person.

This is a bit of an extreme case compared to a jacket but similar principles apply…

4 years ago my wife lent her car to her brother, after numerous requests for the car to be returned we tried reported it as stolen to the police, the police said it wasn’t stolen as the car had been “lent” to her brother and it was a civil matter. Even when the car was subsequently found dismantled in a breakers yard they wouldn’t let us report it as theft.

Then in a catch 22 situation the insurance wouldn’t pay out for the car because we hadn’t reported the car as been stolen, even though we tried on neumerous occasions and the police wouldn’t let us

4 years and £30K later (cost of car and legal fees) it’s still no nearer to getting resolved!

Quote Originally Posted by Datt View Post

4 years ago my wife lent her car to her brother,
    Does he still come round for Christmas dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Does he still come round for Christmas dinner?
    No, if he did the turkey wouldn’t be the only thing that got stuffed!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Could you not get the address details from the rozzers, if they attended? Try something like 'I want to see if they're okay and take them some fruit'. Leave out the bit about wanting to chuff them up proper!

When I crashed my car about half dozen people drove past before anyone stopped. The car was a mess and on a very lonely road. I could have been very seriously injured. They were obviously very worried about their jackets.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

There are still nice people out there too.... aren't there?

Someone knocked on our door the other week to hand over the keys which my other half had accidentally left dangling in the front door.which given we live in a house where the front door opened straight onto the pavement, and his car keys were attached... and we live in scrotesville is pretty good!

Yeh novice surely the police will/might have their details. Not sure if they would hand it out though? Maybe they will pass on a message