133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

133 100.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mandatory Kit

I'm sure this tread will have been in here before but after 10 pages I got bored of searching (only a further 32 to go).

I raced at Dunnerdale today in light drizzle on and off for the hour or so it took me, the ground conditions where poor and very slippery in places and in my opinion the organisers had specified as mandatory kit, full waterproof cover, map, compass and whistle. I passed a female Ambleside runner 155 who was carrying no kit at all. I challenged her and she muttered something like I’ve not got any. She came in a few places behind me and I mentioned it to the time keepers and the organiser and no one seemed interested.

In my opinion if kit is mandatory then those without should be certainly disqualified from racing and possibly even serve a ban.

I believe this is particularly true at a race such as Dunnerdale which has a large number of young runners taking part for the first time and club runners should be setting an example not getting away with it as the weather is OK.

My opinion I know but carrying the correct kit when in the hills can and does save lives!

Dave
    Just get out there and keep Going!

Re: Mandatory Kit

Quote Originally Posted by davet-helm View Post
    I'm sure this tread will have been in here before but after 10 pages I got bored of searching (only a further 32 to go).

I raced at Dunnerdale today in light drizzle on and off for the hour or so it took me, the ground conditions where poor and very slippery in places and in my opinion the organisers had specified as mandatory kit, full waterproof cover, map, compass and whistle. I passed a female Ambleside runner 155 who was carrying no kit at all. I challenged her and she muttered something like I’ve not got any. She came in a few places behind me and I mentioned it to the time keepers and the organiser and no one seemed interested.

In my opinion if kit is mandatory then those without should be certainly disqualified from racing and possibly even serve a ban.

I believe this is particularly true at a race such as Dunnerdale which has a large number of young runners taking part for the first time and club runners should be setting an example not getting away with it as the weather is OK.

My opinion I know but carrying the correct kit when in the hills can and does save lives!

Dave
    Dave ,

If you feel free to, in effect, name a runner whom you believe transgressed you ought to have the courage to spell out your own name in full.

Happy to Dave Till 186
    Just get out there and keep Going!

Master

whats the point in carrying full kit in bloody good weather. I can see why a map and compass obviously cos you can still get lost. But a cag and trousers whats the use of them other than extra weight and a slower time

if the weather is bad though then yeah but i wouldnt carry kit on a short like Dunnerdale
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

I didn't take any kit with me on a short race and broke my ankle on the top. I limped off and it took me ages to get to the finish and then the car. I was freezing. I'm never without full body cover now, even for short training runs. A lesson hard learned.

Also, if the RO says carry it, you should carry it. That's it. They're at more risk than anyone and are providing something for us all to enjoy. Least we can do is carry a bit of pertex or paclite or whatever.

ST

This has been discussed before but in my opinion if the RO stipulates it or the FRA regulations demand it then you don't have a choice. Perhaps to avoid all doubt it should be made explicitly clear to all runners when they register.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    Also, if the RO says carry it, you should carry it. That's it. They're at more risk than anyone and are providing something for us all to enjoy. Least we can do is carry a bit of pertex or paclite or whatever.

ST
    Training, carry what you want, racing, do what ST says and be respectful to the RO's, without them we'd all just be training
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    whats the point in carrying full kit in bloody good weather. I can see why a map and compass obviously cos you can still get lost. But a cag and trousers whats the use of them other than extra weight and a slower time

if the weather is bad though then yeah but i wouldnt carry kit on a short like Dunnerdale
    A significant number of fell runners wouldn't know how to use a map and compass. They'd probably know how to use a cag and trousers.

Abide by the rules or expect to get dq'd if you're kit checked. But the RO's should state at registration explicitly what the rules are if it's not mandated by the governing bodies rules. Not sure if SHR, NIMRA, WFRA have equivilent rules to FRA?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post

As part of your education TT ; because if you stop, even on a summer's day, you have about 10 minutes before hypothermia can set in. This is caused by the 'fridge effect of sweat evaporating, i.e. your body temperature starts to drop. So you need to carry something (not necessarily full waterproof kit) to prevent this situation starting. As others have stated, don't take the risk. You never know what might happen.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    As part of your education TT ; because if you stop, even on a summer's day, you have about 10 minutes before hypothermia can set in. This is caused by the 'fridge effect of sweat evaporating, i.e. your body temperature starts to drop. So you need to carry something (not necessarily full waterproof kit) to prevent this situation starting. As others have stated, don't take the risk. You never know what might happen.
    i voted on the poll if theres bad weather.....however i have to say if i going more than a mile from anywhere public i generally wear 2 layers and carry a cag. but i dont see the point in short races...im generally in the middle or sometimes in the top third so its not like no one sees me on the way round
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before