Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain marathon tents

Mountain marathon tents

Looking for a lightweight tent with just enough room for two medium sized fell runners (male) - any suggestions. Money is an object by the way.

Diolch

Re: Mountain marathon tents

Quote Originally Posted by poptyping View Post
    Looking for a lightweight tent with just enough room for two medium sized fell runners (male) - any suggestions. Money is an object by the way.

Diolch
    Check out the wild camping thread, lots of light weight kit mentioned
    Wild camping

ian

We used a Terra Nova Laser Competition for the OMM last year,seemed to do the job nicely, really easy to put up too. Fairly cosy, but room for both of us to sit up.

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Are you trying to get a job as a moderator
    Dam i've been discovered

We tend to use a KIMM Subkilo, on the grounds that a kilo less than standard is worth the additional discomfort... it was also relaitively cheap at £120 after discount.

The Black Mountain KIMM was a great outing for it and I was converted - enough room to sit up in the bell one at a time, and no condensation. Good clear cool weather and a dry campsite - marvellous. At 980g we were laughing.

The Mull LAMM overnight camp by contrast was grim - the midges meant the door stayed shut all night, leaving the two occupants lightly basted in their own fetid juices, cooking in a steambath. Fortunately the waterproof outers on the one season bags prevented soggy bags, but basically it was an uncomfortable night - 'boil in the bag' or be eaten raw.

So overall I think we go for light, and cope with the discomfort. The Laserlites sound tricky to pitch really well, especially if not erected as one piece. But ventilation is probably better, even if the rearmost occupant has an uncomfortable night. How strong are your respective bladders?

If you're prone to using poles the AR type tents from Vango and TN are worth a look, and if money wasn't an object after all I'd want a Stephensons Warmlite 2X. The Raid Racer goretex 2 man bivvy tents are still quite heavy, and the Sup'Airs are great if you want to sleep in a garden cloche and never sit up.

As money is an object you could try what we did when we got fed up of the Solar 2 - a cheapo Kelty Zen from the US modified with some sewing and scissors to make it a 1.6kg MM tent, about £90. By comparison to the KIMM Subkilo it's palatial. Still going strong, including a Scottish coast-to-coast pitched at 2000ft in April.

HTH

Ben B

PS I have the Terra Nova Solar 2 in the loft, used for numerous KIMMs and LAMMs, if you're interested.

Thanks all (especially Ben).
    Have plummed for a Vango Ultralight 200 - weighs 1.3kg and £119 from a website (name of which now eludes me). I suppose we'll know after the Saunders whether it was the ideal choice, but the weight and money are right.

What about the Vango Banshee 200?

it's twin skin unlike the ultralight 200 and you can picck it up for around £60!!

Also use the Laser. Light and easy to put up, even in the rain and wind. I haven't done a MM for a while now due to injury but seem to remember that it's a popular choice and the overnight camp is practically a Laser festival! If you get one make sure that you can find you're way back to your tent during the night!

has anyone ever seen or used the coleman raid 2 tent or Rigel x2 tent, they are sub kilo tents and can pick them up for around 70 quid, can't find a review on them (think the Rigel x2 is the raid 2 re-modelled)

what i would like to know in general is how much condensation do you get in a single skin tent? the rigel x2 supposedly sports a fanc ventilation system but i'm not convinced.

currently use a terra nova solar minor tent, and am thinking about something lighter, but cheap (like the budgy) for the lamm and saunders if they're good weather.

Hmm, I see what you mean about the Rigel2. Looks miserable for sitting up in, but also £73 and 960g deadens that pain somewhat....

Certainly on a muggy, rainy, midgey night on the 05 LAMM the single skin tent experience was very moist, but there's very little venting in a Subkilo tent if you still want to keep the midges outside.

I'll kepp an eye out for Rigels at midcamp this year.

Oh and BTW PHD are selling 330g down bags now

Ben B