Thread: Calderdale Hike

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Calderdale Hike 37miles

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Thanks guys, trail shoes it is then. So am I right in saying that the route isn't marked, you just find your own way to the check points by whatever route you see fit?
    The route wasn't marked last year. The most important bit to recce is Widdop to Sportsmans Inn. It seemed to go pretty well last year for me just on map and compass, but I can't have got the best line through the terrain everywhere in that section (i.e. my line was generally right, but not tussock perfect).

Loads of people got lost near Jerusalem Farm last year. I don't know how they managed that. I got lost in Oxenholme. I don't know how I managed that.

The Scotland Quarries checkpoint is a bit vaguely described (the quarries cover quite a large area). Last year there was a car (checkpoint) just to the right of the "s" of "Quarries" on the 1:25000 map - by a kink in the road. Someone went to the "Q" side of the quarries, couldn't find the checkpoint and got disqualified (which seemed a little harsh to me: I think I found the checkpoint basically by the right toss of the coin).

I think you can go by whatever route you see fit (which for me is the best way of staging these events).
    Last edited by Zlod; 28-03-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added last paragraph