Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
perhaps at a tangent to an otherwise absorbing thread (but hopefully still relevant). Clearly to be good you have to put the time in - you need hours on the fell running and training effectively. How do people fit the hours into a busy work/home life. Maybe I am just incredibly disorganised or don't manage my time effectively enough but the very most I seem to be able to manage on a typical week is 4 hours. How many hours a week to top runners do a week and how do they fit it in to their lives. We can talk about commitment/desire etc but when you factor in jobs, time with children etc. I don't seem to have that much for running. is this a similar story for other mere mortals or is this just me being ineffective. Part of being great is obviously the physical/mental make up of a person but they also need time. Where do they find this time from?
I fit in between 1 and no more than 4 hours a week running, no structure, hills, flat, road etc and pretty much always manage to finish top 5 in most of the Welsh fell races I enter. They are all under 10 miles but I think to get to the top would take a considerable increase in structure and hours training.........then does it not become a chore????