Thread: The class of 2014

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    But leg 3 is the best one closely followed by Wasdale-Honister. I've done leg 3 in all weathers (and quite a bit of it at night) and have always liked it. I've never really liked the Helvellyn section in the dark, perhaps my judgement is clouded (sic) by losing loads of time on it on my first attempt.
    Liked 3 in dark? But then one thing we fellrunners all have in common is a common sense bypass.

Joking aside, I like 3 and 4 too. And I will almost certainly do it at night again if only to work out how to make pace there at night for my own satisfaction. Can't help but feel we let stolly down a bit. But then I expressed reservations about the time, Stolly was less concerned than me. The trods just disappear in bog, hard to find restarting, and unlike mugnrisdale common (and leg 2 by and large) which is much of a muchness either side of the tracks, dead reckoning off paths is slow up to calf crag and beyond because of the terrain either side, and a great many rocks and holes and bumps. We all went over several times. Innocuous ground is made a lot harder. Take the trods from thunakar to harrison dodge around a lot of bumps, including one big one close to the pike, which are easy to follow in clag, but hard to follow in dark. Dead reckoning of the trods involves going over rather than round the bumps, and that alone can add several minutes to a split of only 10 or 15. So easy to lose an hour in four even if not straying far off route. So I guess I will have another go , to try to work out how. I can nav 1 and 2 in the dark now and have done them numerous times, and have done 5 anti and 4 anti (mostly) in dark. Done all of it in clag. First experience of 3 in dark.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 03-10-2013 at 01:25 PM.