Thread: Hypothermia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I did Ennerdale a few years back. I arrived at CP 3 - the Tarn - inside the cut-off but severely blistering and informed the marshalls that I was DNFing and would make my way down to the what I think is Black Sail Hut and back down the road to the Finish.
    It took me 2.5 hours to get back - it was an unbelievably long way.
    I did stop and wash my feet, changed my socks and jogged it, but I also made the error of crossing the lake at he top and running down the South edge, thinking it would be quicker, but with blistered feet I may as well have been going over Kirk Fell

I'm only really posting this because I've done quite a bit of racing and see myself as ticking the ER box, but that was another level for me.
    You are so remote at CP3 that you almost may as well complete the race.

the weather was great, I had a smashing day out and the 2 guys from CLEM that I drove up with completed well. I had no one to blame but me.
    First time I did duddon was a championship year - 93? 94? - clag was down even below the bottom of harter, let alone the top, and I think hardknott pass was clagged out too. Apparently quite a big group just carried on over hardknott (top) and it was hours and hours before they got back. I had a pretty dismal time trying to find my way round for the first time (5.30) or something - and they got back well after me. So even though the RO will know they had left Harter: they then disappeared into a black hole (in mosedale somewhere?! and DNFed some hours later.

Hard to know what the RO , can or should do:In that case , an extra check at hardknott passmaybe, but even knowing "north of hardknott" is a huge area to look. So implying the RO can do anything meaningful because of a group of missing runners is optimistic.

Hypothermia is strange. I have been hypothermic on what looked a gorgeous day from a valley, and not that cold on the top, but despite all the layers of hats, gloves and so on, just could not get warm till I got down.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 21-11-2013 at 06:26 PM.