Thread: pic de teide

pic de teide

has any one run up the mountain in Tenerife/??? 13000 footer
    pic de teide.

i want to give it a go!
    tho from the start of the tram not from the beach!
    Leo

Re: pic de teide

We went there a few years ago and parked in the wrong car-park. Behind up we could see a string of coaches working its way up towards us. I had a go at running up the hill to the cable car station only to discover that at that altitude, there's b*gger all sustinence to the air!

Still, it was a laugh and I'd love to do some running up there, it's such great landscape. Sadly, I think the Tenirife authorities are pretty strict about not letting folk wander over the top freely and I suspect that you need a permit if you want to do anything other than stick to the tourist path near the top. I'm not even sure if you're allowed to walk/run up from the bottom cablecar station. I think you have to take the cablecar if you don't have a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    Sadly, I think the Tenirife authorities are pretty strict about not letting folk wander over the top freely and I suspect that you need a permit if you want to do anything other than stick to the tourist path near the top. I'm not even sure if you're allowed to walk/run up from the bottom cablecar station. I think you have to take the cablecar if you don't have a permit.
    Certainly this was the case when i was there a couple of years back.

I was there on a walking trip two years ago when my mate (a very well known fell runner) decided to do it while I slept in! The mountain was covered in snow at the time. He ran up in fell shoes passing loads of folk in winter climbing gear complete with crampons. After visiting the summit crater he descended to the cable car to ride down but at first they wouldn't let him on cos' he didn't have a ticket and they wouldn't believe he'd run up in shorts and trainers. After a long time arguing they saw he meant it and let him buy a ticket. It was at that point my mate found that he'd lost his money on the way up, silly Bxxxxr. Anyway they let him ride down and he paid them after he got back to the car. Incidentally the subject of permits never arose. I also know several other fell runner who have been up - definitely without permits.
    Now't wrong wi me, its t'others.

Master and MR

pee jay sounds like the best way to do it

right when i was there years ago you have to get a permit to climb to the summit

head for the national park office in santa cruz , the permit was free then , you take your passport and they need a copy, they dont have a photocopier either , then im sure they need to know exactly the time your gonna be at the top.
    You get a two hour window or did at the time
    what a saga

You do indeed need a permit from the National Parks Office. I was intending running/walking to the summit last year whilst my wife went up in the cable car only to find that you have to apply to the Office in Vera Cruz. They have made it easier to obtain the permit by e-mail before you go. You must apply at least 7days before you intend to make the climb, see http://www.secret-tenerife.com/2006/...el-teide.shtml . The last time I went up the footpath to the top was about 25 years ago when there was no such thing as permits. I took the kids up with me. No permits, no environmental issues, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Iken Fityemean View Post
    You do indeed need a permit from the National Parks Office.

So there would appear to be two types of people who climb El Teide, those who 'need' a permit and those who don't.....
    Now't wrong wi me, its t'others.