Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Juniors

Master

Re: Juniors

Quote Originally Posted by Bant View Post
    Haile ran a marathon at the age of 14. Plus he ran 20 miles to get there in the morning and ran home at night. He used to run 10km to school in the morning, home for lunch, back again after lunch n then home at night. and he then started training on top of this at about the age of 14.

Why do you think the africans are far more aerobically strong than the rest of the world????!!!!!
    Maybe because they take more drugs Sorry couldn't resist it.

Master

I think it's the shorter distances(200m-400m) that can be damaging to kids, because of the severe oxygen debts involved.Kids recognise that middle and long distance runs are much slower,so they take their time.

I remember going for a 15mile run with my dad at 11. I just asked him 'how far are you going' and 'can I come along'. He never forced me and rarely came to watch me race.In those days he just let me and my brothers get on with it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I think it's the shorter distances(200m-400m) that can be damaging to kids, because of the severe oxygen debts involved.Kids recognise that middle and long distance runs are much slower,so they take their time.

I remember going for a 15mile run with my dad at 11. I just asked him 'how far are you going' and 'can I come along'. He never forced me and rarely came to watch me race.In those days he just let me and my brothers get on with it.
    I think it's a good point CL.

Any fell runner who thinks a ten mile run puts greater stress on the body than a 400 metre race ask yourself how you'd cope with racing 400 metres.

Add in the fact that kids have good natural endurance and relatively little speed and strength.

Luxury , running, running? What are these kids doing out of tut pit and out from tut chimney?
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I think it's a good point CL.

Any fell runner who thinks a ten mile run puts greater stress on the body than a 400 metre race ask yourself how you'd cope with racing 400 metres.

Add in the fact that kids have good natural endurance and relatively little speed and strength.
    I did do a 400meter race at an open meeting once.An acquaintance of mine who was a very good runner, ran in the race before me.After finishing he exclaimed 'that was worse than the mile.'

I stood there grinning at his pain, before realising it was my turn He was right as well.It was worse than the mile.Felt a bit like an 800m,except all the pain was crammed into less than a minute.
    Last edited by CL; 04-04-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    Luxury , running, running? What are these kids doing out of tut pit and out from tut chimney?
    People still work as chimney sweeps.I saw one peering up at me from an upside down position in my fireplace.Came down the wrong chimney,should've been next door.