Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: World Cross Country

Re: World Cross Country

kick might well be better, but of 2.10 rather than 2.05 pace...hummmmm

Thread of the Year. Nominations closed.

But good thought-provoking stuff boys (n girls). Can we keep it up -without illegal substances?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    CL

simple answer - if you spent 6 months training to increase your vo2 max from 60-80 (which in itself is an impossible task given the genetic component, but I'll play along) you probably would be faster over 10km but probably not over the marathon
    It's hardly impossible.There's a guy who comes on here who's raised his by 17ml/kg/min, and he's still got some tests to go.

He also found himself at the front of a triathlon, which he stated was a novel position for him.The triathlon was around 1.50 in length, reasonably close to a marathon in time.

I would hesitate to suggest that running hard for 26.2 miles has a quite different metabolic demand than doing a triathlon in 1 hr 50 - espcially in the case of some-one who can raise his vo2 max that much which would indicate that he was in a pretty untrained state to start off with. (have you developed a test to predict vo2 max).

CL - if it is your belief that training to increase your vo2 max is the most important thing to improve endurance performance, then fine, but in my view it will mean that others will always be training more effectively than you

s

ps a certain ms radcliffes vo2 max has not changed much since she was in her early 20s yet she is a much better runner, but then that must be the asthma drugs kicking in I guess

Master

I would hesitate to suggest that running hard for 26.2 miles has a quite different metabolic demand than doing a triathlon in 1 hr 50 - espcially in the case of some-one who can raise his vo2 max that much which would indicate that he was in a pretty untrained state to start off with. (have you developed a test to predict vo2 max).

CL - if it is your belief that training to increase your vo2 max is the most important thing to improve endurance performance, then fine, but in my view it will mean that others will always be training more effectively than you

s

ps a certain ms radcliffes vo2 max has not changed much since she was in her early 20s yet she is a much better runner, but then that must be the asthma drugs kicking in I guess
    Saz lets get to the crux.I have an athlete stood in front of me, with a V02 of 60.I now pump enough red cells into him to bring his V02 to 80.

For the sake of argument we'll assume he doesn't suffer a negative reaction(a reasonable assumption considering blood dopings widespread use).I now get him to run the marathon.

Remember nothing else has changed except his ability to carry oxygen.Isn't it obvious, that now he'll be able to run considerably faster?

Well it's obvious to me!

1 no its not obvious

2 I pity the athlete

2 I pity the athlete
    Because he's pumped full of red blood cells or because he's stood in front of Christopher Leigh?

Master

1 no its not obvious

2 I pity the athlete

It's obvious to Vinokourov,Tyler Hamilton, Jan Ullrich and Dr Fuentes.I don't pity them either, they deserve to be caught.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doonhamer View Post
    Because he's pumped full of red blood cells or because he's stood in front of Christopher Leigh?
    Hey I'm not that bad!

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Hey I'm not that bad!
    Mmmm, shall we have a poll?