Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Wainright on the telly

Re: Wainright on the telly

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    "I'll continue the longstanding tradition in these parts of adding a stone to the cairn"...arrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!! Is there no-one involved in the making of the programme who could have edited that stupid comment out?
    I am with you on the cairns, but there are many outdoor types who would disagree. The prog was about Wainright, and apparently it was one of his 'things' (never read the books, but I think thats true).

The debate about cairns can get quite loud. Lets see if you have lit the touchpaper

i) Exactly how many rests did she take on a short walk up a small hill?!?
    Scafell Pike for the last one, how many rests next week?!

ii) "I'll continue the longstanding tradition in these parts of adding a stone to the cairn"...arrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!! Is there no-one involved in the making of the programme who could have edited that stupid comment out?
    Agree completly.

Yes but.... One of Wainwrights pet hates was people who route march up hills without surveying their surroundings on the way - the goal is to get to the top, rather than to enjoy the experience of getting there? Surely taking regular breaks is as much about taking in the surroundings as taking a breather because you're not fit enough to get up in one go?

Aye, fair point Dominion....twas just the way she seemed to flop down at every opportunity as though exhausted. Probably unfairly biased against her now 'cause I find her irritating in the extreme and I find it disappointing that the BBC couldn't have asked someone more informed to make such a series...there was a great opportunity there.

Anyway, I often stop to admire the views and take in the surroundings when out on the fells.....sometimes for up to 3 or 4 seconds!!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Yes but.... One of Wainwrights pet hates was people who route march up hills without surveying their surroundings on the way - the goal is to get to the top, rather than to enjoy the experience of getting there? Surely taking regular breaks is as much about taking in the surroundings as taking a breather because you're not fit enough to get up in one go?
    Its true, it is easy to just head up to the tops paying little attention on the way. However i did find her a little irritating whittering on a bit too much, which diverted my attention from the good bits. One comment, "I'm glad i didn't take my mum" where's the relevance in that? . I hadn't seen the others and was really looking forward to watching it, a bit disappointing I thought, and not what i expected.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post

That's what i do but am supposed to be 'racing'

I thought it did a good bit of promotion for taking sightseeing helicopter flights - something I don't think we need.

Just seen on the BBC4 website -

In the last in the series exploring the work of Britain's most famous fell-walker, Alfred Wainwright, Julia Bradbury attempts to climb England's highest peak. Preparing to scale a height of 3000ft, Julia seeks advice from celebrated fell-runner and local sheep farmer, Jos Naylor.

Should make it a bit more interesting.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by CribGoch View Post
    I am with you on the cairns, but there are many outdoor types who would disagree. The prog was about Wainright, and apparently it was one of his 'things' (never read the books, but I think thats true).

The debate about cairns can get quite loud. Lets see if you have lit the touchpaper

I seem to remember reading in one of Wainwrights books that a walker should leave as little evidence of there passing even to endeavor not to disturb a stone with there boots, or words to that effect, so i don`t think the adding of stones to Cairns was one of his `things` quite the opposite in fact.

As to cairns they should all be removed.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Yes I winced at the cairn bit - shows the research up a bit, doesn't it. As did the reference to potholing.

But the scenery was nice ...