Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth Hostel Prices

Youth Hostel Prices

One night?

That'll be £22 sir.

That will include breakfast then.

No sir, thats an extra £4.00 (something)

Then i had to make my own bed (don't even do that the house)and share a dorm with 7 other blokes, most of which had been to the pub all night!

Is this a bit expensive or am living in the past

Re: Youth Hostel Prices

They are certainly not a cheap option anymore IMO.
    We stayed in one in the Lakes last year,think it was Grasmere, and for a couple of quid more could have had a twin room in the local pub, with breakfast
    Used to be a YHA member but dont bother anymore.

undercover moderator

Keswick seems to have improved a bit - in March they seem to be charging £16 B&B mid-week, and £19 at the weekends.

In the summer I think that goes up to £22, which is beginning to be around the cost of cheap B&Bs but:
    • you can cook your own tea, instead of having to eat out
    • you can do one-night and broken stays, which B&Bs get funny about
    • there are hostels in handy places.
    For example, in March I'm going to spend the night at Keswick YH, then next day catch the bus to Rosthwaite, walk/run to Wastwater YH over the Borrowdale & Wasdale race routes, then go back to Keswick the next day over the Wasdale, Borrowdale and AW routes (stopping for a pee at the slate mine). Much more difficult to do this using guesthouses.

But, I've also just been booking my summer holidays with the children. A week in a family room at a YH is £500. We've found a cottage near it for £330...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Keswick seems to have improved a bit - in March they seem to be charging £16 B&B mid-week, and £19 at the weekends.

In the summer I think that goes up to £22, which is beginning to be around the cost of cheap B&Bs but:
    For example, in March I'm going to spend the night at Keswick YH, then next day catch the bus to Rosthwaite, walk/run to Wastwater YH over the Borrowdale & Wasdale race routes, then go back to Keswick the next day over the Wasdale, Borrowdale and AW routes (stopping for a pee at the slate mine). Much more difficult to do this using guesthouses.

But, I've also just been booking my summer holidays with the children. A week in a family room at a YH is £500. We've found a cottage near it for £330...
    Keswick was 12.50 at XOTF including a rather excellent buffet breakfast
    Poacher turned game-keeper

That is exactly why I use them in stead of a b&b... Especially in winter or generally bad weather, when (wild) camping is not an option...

(stopping for a pee at the slate mine).
    Make sure you eat your own food and drink your own drink while you are there, but be careful, you may end up somewhere you weren't planning on being...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

i tend to use bunkhouse rooms now, much cheaper, I think YHA has had it's day
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

HTML Code:
    Is this a bit expensive or am living in the past
    couldn't agree with you more Nee Bother - I'm booked into a YHA for 3 nights in May for around £70, which doesn't include the non-members fee, whilst this weekend for about the same price I've got 3 nights in a travellodge, where some nice East European lady will probably make the bed while I'm out and take care of all the washing up, and I wont have to share my spacious ensuite bedroom with half a dozen other people, one of whom always seems to be in training for the world snoring championships.

Ta for comments. I think mud has made it clear very handy and easy going but not cheap!!

[*]you can cook your own tea, instead of having to eat out[*]you can do one-night and broken stays, which B&Bs get funny about[*]there are hostels in handy places.[/LIST]For example, in March I'm going to spend the night at Keswick YH, then next day catch the bus to Rosthwaite, walk/run to Wastwater YH over the Borrowdale & Wasdale race routes, then go back to Keswick the next day over the Wasdale, Borrowdale and AW routes (stopping for a pee at the slate mine). Much more difficult to do this using guesthouses.

they're mostly better than they used to be I suppose - in terms of facilities and comfort and all that - so I suppose that's how they'd justify the price rises

but I guess some people would prefer paying a few quid less for fewer bells and whistles

am staying at the Borrowdale one for a week soon ... think it's £16 a night but that's with the membership discount ...

and another thing: whoever at the YHA decided that they should start renting the whole place out to conferences and mass bookings etc?

Called the Borrowdale one in November for a random weekend in March and couldn't get in cos they'd sold the whole place out to some bloody club or other.