View Poll Results: Give Blood on 20th April?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 100.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving Blood

Re: Giving Blood

I always said i would give blood after having a transfusion years ago, I'm ashamed to say i've just never got round to it, there's just never a convenient time . Must make an effort next time they're in the area!

Well I'll be giving blood on Sunday. If it makes me run crap at the Kinder Downfall a week later, then so be it. I might have saved somebody's life in the meantime.

Giving blood also gives you a good excuse to eat a bit more and drink Guiness. However, having been to Bolivia I've been told I'm never allowed to give blood again just in case I'm carrying some strange undetectable parasitic disease :-(. We didn't even go down into the jungle where the disease exists but "rules is rules".

I gave my armfull on Sunday, then on Tuesday ran the BG leg 1 from Keswick to Threlkeld, up Clough Head and back to Keswick via St Johns in the Vale & Castlerigg. We were out for about 7 hours and the lack of blood didn't seem to affect me that much.

Give blood after the race! See this link http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/donate_blood.html
    Another way to look at it is the effect receiving blood allegedly had on the Olympian Lasse Viren in the '72 Olympics. He was in the habit of donating blood to himself! He'd take a pint or two (his Dr did) store it until shortly before the big competition, get it tranfused back into his body, increasing his red cell content (the oxygen carrying bit) which gave his VO2 Max a boost. Psychological or not he won gold at 5000 and 10000!
    Last edited by Iken Fityemean; 29-03-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Thumbs up Giving Blood

I've donated on the Friday & played rugby the next day many times with no ill effects.
    It takes up to 3 weeks for the body to recover.
    Listen to your body.

Regards,

Max.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

Thought i'd revive this since its about a year and a half since someone last posted.

So has anyone given bloody recently......

I signed up when i was 16, but couldnt do it until 17.

When i did do it, my eyes nearly popped out when the nurse thrust the needle into my arm (does the needle really need to be that think - ive still got the scar)
    Another donar on the bed next to me fainted, and i felt like i was going to do the same - but didnt tell the nurse because i didnt want them to stop the donation.
    I nearly flopped once i got off the bed but again didnt tell anyone.

I was totally fine the days after that though...and i even had a bottle of real ale when i got back - and your supposed to avoid the booze. ha.

I cant do it again for a while though because im on my 6 month ban because ive had acupuncture (cant spell that - no suprise there them)
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 17-11-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I always said i would give blood after having a transfusion years ago, I'm ashamed to say i've just never got round to it, there's just never a convenient time . Must make an effort next time they're in the area!
    If you've had a transfusion you are not allowed to give blood. Last time I went I had to complete a new form and one of the questions was if I had had a transfusion. I had recently had an operation under GA and put on the form that I did not know. 1 month later I got a letter saying I was not allowed to give it any more because of this answer after several years of donating.

I'm due to give blood but put it off until after ToP. Does make me feel tired nowadays for a few days, but that may just be age!

Running well.

Then gave blood on Monday.

Tuesday - hill reps - ran really badly, felt like throwing up on most reps.

Thursday - 6 mile tempo run, started OK then ... Got slower and slower. Thighs aching and weak towards end. Last one back.
    Decided to take 2 days rest.

Sunday - 13 miles (should have been 21) - a shocker - had to walk/jog going up Rooley Moor Road (normally run up no problem).

Nodded off twice this week - unheard of normally.

Taking iron + zinc supplement (actually aimed at heavy menstruation) to get heamoglobin back up but not working so far.

Noonstone should be fun!

Anyone else have experience of giving blood vs. running?
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.