Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: All time top 10 sportspeople

Master

Re: All time top 10 sportspeop

These are the sportsmen that came to mind when thinking back:

1) Said Aouita (middle and distance running) He used to say that the only reason he ran the 800m/1500, was because no one could beat him over 5000m.

2) Akakios Kakiasvillis (weightlifting) One of the fastest athletes I've ever seen. 3 times Olympic champion with an unusual style.

3) Marvin Hagler (Boxing) Deserves a mention after staying on his feet against Tommy Hearns. Super fighter.

4) Chris Eubank (Boxing) Always produced a great atmosphere. Gutsy competitor.

5) Eric Bristow (Darts) Cool at his best, outsyched his opponents at critical points. Gave a little wave when he got 180.

6) Barry Sheen (Motorcycling) Loved watching his battles when I was younger.

7) Geoff Capes ( Shot Putt and 2 times worlds strongest-man) Very fast and super-strong. Always won the tug of war and bar bending.

8) Marcus Gronholm (Rallying) Sometimes couldn't watch when he was driving. It was give everything or crash. Nice guy, very funny without meaning to be.

9) Chris Boardman (Cycling) Breath of fresh air in a seedy world of drugs and lies.

10) Graeme Obree (Cycling) Broke the butcher bike mentality of cycling through his innovations, only to be punished for doing so.
    Last edited by CL; 28-06-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    AAARGGHHHHH!!!!

Darts and snooker are not sports!

Citius, Altius, Fortius

And niether is ice dance, synchronised swimming and anything else that's scored subjectively!!!
    sport should be a fair contest of skills between competitors. darts comes into this catagory no luck at the top level at all and is related to one of the oldest sports of all javelin throwing. no question at all phil the power taylor is the greatest sportsman of all time. more skill at his chosen sport than any other person that has ever lived.
    slow upfast down

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    3) Marvin Hagler (Boxing) Deserves a mention after staying on his feet against Tommy Hearns. Super fighter.

4) Chris Eubank (Boxing) Always produced a great atmosphere. Gutsy competitor.
    Good call on Hagler - I personally would have had Sugar Ray Leonard in there but any one of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard or Duran wouldn't have been out of place in there.

Eubank was entertaining but not sure I would have him in a top 10 list - he admitted himself that he over-achieved but who can forget his epic tussles with Benn, Watson and Collins.

Neil Fox

and my Uncle Mick (Mick Joyce) who was on the subs bench during the famous watersplash final during which Don Fox missed a conversion to give him (my Uncle Mick) his winner's medal.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"