Page 35 of 84 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: LDWA events

Re: LDWA events

I also did the Rugby Rover too. There was a lot more tarmac than I expected. I'd have been better off in road shoes (if I had any) as my feet were as sore as hell over the last 2 miles I reckon there is about 4 miles of tarmac but there is also a lot of hard packed trail too. Organisation, way-marking and marshalling was excellent though. Never had to use the map at all and there were loads of jelly babies to scoff! . We were warned that it was muddy but it wasn't, my shoes were still as clean at the finish as they were at the start! It's a good event as long as you go with the expectation of a long multi-terrain run rather than a tough fell race. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun.EHH View Post
    Hi Ian
    Thought i would join up to forum seen ive been lurkin on for the last few weeks, I followed you in at Marsden with the white top on from East Hull Harriers, like you say we ran together for the last 8 mile or so.

Hi DE
    Did not get chance to talk to you ,but did se you as i was leaving ,you looked soaking wet in your humber bridge 10k shirt. Are you doing Rudolfs Romp?

Hi Strider
    Dont know how you managed to run again the next day, my legs was shot just recovered now. good luck with the ultra Paul
    Hi Shaun, I'm sure we'll meet again on another run. Good to see you've sign up to the Forum

May be a bit of a travel for some of you but its Smugglers Trod next w/e. I tripped over to Sedbergh today and did Burnsall classic + 10m yesterday so this will hopefully be a doddle in comparison.

Pendle's Shadow Sat 12th Sept

This is on Sat 12th Sept. 20 miles.

Entry form and details:-
    http://www.stmarysnewchurchinpendle....s%20shadow.htm

Map of course:-

http://www.clayton-le-moors-harriers..._route_map.jpg
    Last edited by martin; 27-08-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Re: Pendle's Shadow Sat 12th S

Martin - may possibly be doing this as a training run.

Changing subject, Re. maps - I have an old map of N.Y.Moors easten Area dated 1983 I am considering using for Smugglers Trod. Should probably get a new one, but paths seem to exist between CP on this map and I don't suppose they change that often for most part? Anybody have any horror stories caused by navigating from old maps?

Super Moderator

Be aware that some of the plantations marked on old maps have been cleared relatively recently I was up that way in February and it was potentialy confusing

Lovely event; you'll enjoy it. Just save a bit for the climb out of Robin Hoods Bay near the end
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkeneuphoria View Post
    Anybody have any horror stories caused by navigating from old maps?
    I got mighty confused navigating on a walk around derbys with a map that didn;t have carsington resvr on it! Took me a fair while to think to check the date of the map, which, of course, predated the lake! Imagine a sodding big lake appearing in front of you that's nowhere to be seen on the map?
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 28-08-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    I got mighty confused navigating on a walk around derbys with a map that didn;t have carsington resvr on it! Took me a fair while to think to check the date of the map, which, of course, predated the lake! Imagine a sodding big lake appearing in front of you that's nowhere to be seen on the map?
    Ha! Just the sort of thing I was after Thanks Toni and Tup, I've bit the bullet forked out the £8 for a map dated 2009.

Exclamation Re: LDWA events

Spatcher - if you want to do the South Shropshire Circular - get your entry in. There are already 60+ entries - they only accept 200 - and places tend to get snappped up around the time of the Long Mynd Hike (first Saturday in October)

Quote Originally Posted by The Midge View Post
    Spatcher - if you want to do the South Shropshire Circular - get your entry in. There are already 60+ entries - they only accept 200 - and places tend to get snappped up around the time of the Long Mynd Hike (first Saturday in October)
    Thanks Midge - already got an entry. I posted my list of runs here just after wandering up to the post box with the applications.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club