Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Coniston gullies

Re: Coniston gullies

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Seniors 2400ft in 37 mins generally. U17 takes 16 mins generally would suggest that the U17s have around 1100ft.
    1587ft

I'm puzzled though on several counts.

1. Specifically who was unfortunate not to go to Susa as a result of the trial being at Coiners?
    2. When I look at eg. Ambleside and Shuttlingsloe results from last year in the U14 / U16 / U18 age categories they are remarkably similar if you look at those that did both races, which suggests that a good athlete is just that, a good athlete. Mstr Knox and Miss Bethwaite for example were both winning the U14s with a familiar lineup behind - or do you see these as non fell infiltrators? U16s Doyle & Riches won both.
    3. Much of the criticism seems to be from people who aren't running the FRA Champs, so why feel so driven? It's like someone in the Red Rose XC League having a pop at the Kendal Winter League!

It's a series - do it and give constructive criticism based on the experience of taking part - or don't do it. Quite simple really. I have given criticism, based on following the Series for the last 4 years, but I do try to do it in the right way.
    I give up. I'm going to talk to the barn door outside.
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

I sense a bit of fell snobbery in some of these comments, and I also sense a little bit of bitterness that the FRA races attract a wider range of athletes.
    Why would we be bitter then?

You pick a flattish course, lots of runners who are quick on the flat will turn up and they will get in the team. I don't think that's fair. Perhaps next year we should just advertise the places to cross country and track runners because it really doesn't give fell runners who are at home on steeper courses a chance.
    Sounds a bit bitter to me.

You decided to talk to a barn door rather than attempt to answer what I feel are reasonable points.

Master

Brett please lock this thread. It just paints a negative image of junior fell running with slanderous comments and general slagging off and arguing. Such threads are likely to deter junior runners from he sport which would be a shame
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

You pick a flattish course, lots of runners who are quick on the flat will turn up and they will get in the team. I don't think that's fair. Perhaps next year we should just advertise the places to cross country and track runners because it really doesn't give fell runners who are at home on steeper courses a chance.
    Sounds a bit bitter to me.
    I was making the point that it isn't fair. For example, Tom Doyle produced an absolute stormer at Ambleside last year and yet there is no recognition in terms of the trial because the course is possibly is worst nightmare. Is that fair? No, not when people who he can beat on one course like the trial course and therefore beat him and get picked.

It's also nothing like comparing the Red Rose with the Kendal Winter League. Red Rose is XC, KWL is fell. Mind you, possibly you are saying they are the same thing. BOFRA and FRA are both FELL therefore they can criticise each other.

Back to the Barn I go.

Master

Why would you want to compare and criticise Will? Why not accept all as genuinely hard with good traditional regional fell terrain instead of immature animosity
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Why would you want to compare and criticise Will? Why not accept all as genuinely hard with good traditional regional fell terrain instead of immature animosity
    Ahhh the irony Tom.

'Having made the trip upto Carnethy for this race i have to say it is a proper example of what a junior fell race should entail, rough terrain and a big climb and fast descent. It is a race that you have to train on the fell to do well in unlike the English champs where some races seem as though they are planned in order to attract track runners. maybe we should follow the example of Carnethy and organise more junior fell races in this way.'

Yep you said that!

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    Ahhh the irony Tom.

'Having made the trip upto Carnethy for this race i have to say it is a proper example of what a junior fell race should entail, rough terrain and a big climb and fast descent. It is a race that you have to train on the fell to do well in unlike the English champs where some races seem as though they are planned in order to attract track runners. maybe we should follow the example of Carnethy and organise more junior fell races in this way.'

Yep you said that!
    Owwww shot down
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Fed up wi' chips now!