Super Moderator

Re: Skiing

Outdoor shop in Ilkley has good reputation for skiing kit

www.backcountryuk.com

Nice guys too
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    It's ok, our skis get serviced every year by a guy who used to ski for the olympic team and now tests for the major manufacturers. He had a major accident last year whilst testing when a binding broke.....ouch!!! Think it's more of an issue when at great speed, which is not something I do when touring in the Dales!!

.....but good point Sir!!!
    Personally I think the worst injuries come at slower speed when you
    a) have time to tense up and
    b) there's not much energy in the system for the bindings to release.(slow fall) which is why the bindings need checking.

quick falls may bruise the ego but if you are relaxed you should be ok......

Worth noting is the number one injury to skiers is/are wrist and thumb.

Wrist- due to putting arms out to break a fall (sorry no pun intended) again slow fall.
    Thumbs similar but also due to holding the poles/straps incorrectly, this is very common, as if you fall on your pole it pulls the thumb down dislocating/breaking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Outdoor shop in Ilkley has good reputation for skiing kit

www.backcountryuk.com

Nice guys too
    Slightly out of the price range there, think I'm just going to look on ebay and hope for something cheap on there.
    It's more downhill ski's than cross country I'm after.

Where are you? I have some downhill ones spare, though I've no idea what condition they're in.

In fact I've 2 pairs of skis and bindings, no sticks or boots. All about 200cm long.

Salomon 8000s (198cm) and Blizzard Quattro Thermo (204cm).

The edges look OK, no idea of their age as they weren't mine to begin with.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 29-11-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Where are you? I have some downhill ones spare, though I've no idea what condition they're in.

In fact I've 2 pairs of skis and bindings, no sticks or boots. All about 200cm long.

Salomon 8000s (198cm) and Blizzard Quattro Thermo (204cm).

The edges look OK, no idea of their age as they weren't mine to begin with.
    Damn just lost a huge post on these skis.

These Skis are seriously old school! boy do they take me back.

Basically the quatros are awesome skis but are 18-20 years old (if you give me the serial number i'll tell you exactly) full on performance but the bindings will need replacing now.

The salomons 8000 were the first production monocoque ski but quicky became dated due to Carvers, I've owned both of these ski's in my time and tested many similar one. Again these are a performance ski

I'm sorry to say that they are worthless these day. The salomons would probly work well for a super sledge.

No one would use them these day as they would be too long. I used to ski 208cms but with modern skis I have various but all around the 180 mark (183 tall). The average skier should look for skis about eye level approx.

Cross country is slightly different a good rule of thumb is to put your hand in the air(me sir me sir!) and measure to the wrist. If you are heavy boned go a bit longer or stiffer! light of frame go a bit shorter.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

These Skis are seriously old school! boy do they take me back.

Basically the quatros are awesome skis but are 18-20 years old (if you give me the serial number i'll tell you exactly) full on performance but the bindings will need replacing now.

The salomons 8000 were the first production monocoque ski but quicky became dated due to Carvers, I've owned both of these ski's in my time and tested many similar one. Again these are a performance ski

I'm sorry to say that they are worthless these day. The salomons would probly work well for a super sledge.

No one would use them these day as they would be too long. I used to ski 208cms but with modern skis I have various but all around the 180 mark (183 tall). The average skier should look for skis about eye level approx.
    Hate to say it but you're wrong. There are plenty of people who still want to ski the old fashioned way - long narrow skis, legs together, body straight etc etc.

I hasten to add that I think they are mad and should wise up to the wonders of carving but the fact remains that some people do prefer the old style skis and the old style of skiing!! :thunbdown:

Thanks, Ian, I reckoned they were the older type. Serial K017 0588 (so May 88?)/

My langlauf are 210 and even older, '70s by the colour scheme, Swedish fibre glass by Edsbyn, but still get me round.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    Hate to say it but you're wrong. There are plenty of people who still want to ski the old fashioned way - long narrow skis, legs together, body straight etc etc.

I hasten to add that I think they are mad and should wise up to the wonders of carving but the fact remains that some people do prefer the old style skis and the old style of skiing!! :thunbdown:
    Hmm may be about 1%

I put my Sal Equipe 2S with sal 977 equip binding (New C£500) up for sale 3 years old, Base's mint condition, Well I am a ski Tech, both in the paper at the Sheffield ski village, I couldn't even sell them for £50 as rockhoppers, the new moduler ski biding sets have also put rendered old bindings worthless also . There are always people with their heads in the ground.

I could have sold them at a car boot but I disaprove of selling skis, climbing equip, ropes etc, as there is a safety issue involved with not knowing the history or performance of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Thanks, Ian, I reckoned they were the older type. Serial K017 0588 (so May 88?)/

My langlauf are 210 and even older, '70s by the colour scheme, Swedish fibre glass by Edsbyn, but still get me round.
    Just the last digit is the first half of the season if I remember correctly, so 88-89 season 21 years old! so not a bad guess?

Whilst waiting for some ski's on ebay to end, I'm improvising and using a homemade snowboard. Old skateboard, take off the wheels and put some straps on the top, bit of wax on the bottom works a treat