Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guidance needed - navigation

guidance needed - navigation

Hi everyone,

after a few years of road racing i've decided to venture into the world of fell running! I've completed a couple of shorter races but was wondering what longer races were like in terms of navigation.

My map reading skills are pretty sound, and I learnt basic navigation whilst doing my DofE, and i'm looking forward to dusting those off...

My questions were really: do runners bring their own maps to races, with bearings etc worked out beforehand? Or is it a case of being handed a map on the day with which to plan your route?

I appreciate this question may sound daft, but any guidance would be appreciated once you've stopped laughing

thanks

Re: guidance needed - navigati

It very much depends on the race. Many are described as partially marked / marshalled which usually means follow the red / white tapes with marshalls at crucial turns. Some are navigational / orienteering events with the route or checkpoints announced at the start requiring quick thinking and marking your chosen route on the map (sometimes provided). And then there are the longer (6+ miles) races which although having a more or less prescribed route require navigation to find you way between the checkpoints, these are often worth a recce before the day to decide on you preferred lines.

Take a look at the FRA calendar, join the FRA to get a printed one or look on line here http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php. Note the abbreviations
    NS - Navigational Skills Required
    LK - Local Knowledge an advantage
    PM - Course Partially Marked

Also note that for some races full windproof (or waterproof) body cover, map, compass and whistle must be carried.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

that's great, thanks bigfella!

i've got all the gear - topped off with a shiny new pair of Walsh PB's in the Xmas sale and FRA membership for Christmas too - just need some experience now!

My first race this year will be the Lamb's Longer Leg this Sunday - it's only 3.1 miles so i'm thinking I can't go too wrong! plus i've managed to find a map of the route on the Races forum on here.

thanks again

Barny

I assume you've entered this as it's a pre-entry race (or at least it was last year), If not a phone call to the organiser should see you ok.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

yes my £3 was in the post early December! also pre-entered for the Kinder Trial; as I joined the FRA mid-December I'm waiting for the fixtures calendar to see what February and March may bring! Also entered the Trollers Trot in March as I have done a couple of road marathons before.

thanks

look ot the tags below, lots more info there

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    My questions were really: do runners bring their own maps to races, with bearings etc worked out beforehand? Or is it a case of being handed a map on the day with which to plan your route?
    I mark my maps up with bearings and other little reminders but in some races the best lines are not the most obvious looking ones on the map so dont be too prescriptive - if you are doing a race for the first time people ahead of you wont necessarily be wrong if they start heading off in a strange direction/route. But they could be!
    Good examples that come to mind are the descent from Scafell and the line between Green Gable and Honister, both in Borrowdale. Its only by doing the race a few times or reccying it that you can pick up what works best for you because unless its marked or prescribed there isn't usually a 'correct' route although most races have evolved to the point where most people follow similar lines most of the time. For example the Scafell descent above is very steep and loose - it might not suit everyone but there are other ways you could choose to come down if you wish, they probably only make a few minutes difference in a race that most people will take four hours or so over. Likewise you might choose a longer but easier to navigate route in bad weather and a direct rougher route in clear conditions, its all part of the game we play.

for the bigger / more popular races, you can buy dedicated race maps in advance from Pete Bland and LakesRunner, which show a 'recommended route'.

There is normally a 'best route' even in the big Lakes races with miles between the checkpoints - and that's more or less what you get on the PB/LR maps. And they have a route description and tips on the back too, so they're v useful to take on a recce

Only thing is the scale is not as detailed as a 1:25,000 - so when recccying I might colour photocopy the OS, transpose the race route from the PB map, waterproof it and use that.

But then on race day I'd just use the PB map as they are nice and small.

http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/brands/harvey/80/
    http://www.lakesrunner.com/welcome-t...c-126_117.html
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 04-01-2011 at 01:59 PM.

yes my £3 was in the post early December! also pre-entered for the Kinder Trial; as I joined the FRA mid-December I'm waiting for the fixtures calendar to see what February and March may bring! Also entered the Trollers Trot in March as I have done a couple of road marathons before.

thanks
    Good choice of races to start with. Lamb's Leg is pretty well marked, but you may as well bring your map as well. Kinder Trial is an orienteering event (as you probably know already) where you are given a map 2 minutes before you start with the check-points and descriptions marked on it. You need your own compass, though, obviously!

thanks again for everyone getting back to me. i'm based in Stockport, hoping to move to New Mills soon so the Hayfield races are top of my agenda at the minute.

i'll be the one finishing last after Lamb's Longer Leg on Sunday! it will be a nice warm up for the Kinder Trial.