Thread: New fell race possibility

New fell race possibility

Can anyone help me out here, i'm hoping to start a new felll race in the Ribble Valley area, most fell races seem pretty relaxed, what's the crack with organisations having to be involved, like UKA or FRA for things like insurance ect......

Re: New fell race possibility

Quote Originally Posted by multi coloured View Post
    Can anyone help me out here, i'm hoping to start a new felll race in the Ribble Valley area, most fell races seem pretty relaxed, what's the crack with organisations having to be involved, like UKA or FRA for things like insurance ect......
    Almost all the races in England whose details are included on the FRA website http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php have race Permits and associated UK Athletics insurance.

To be eligible for a race Permit:
    1. The organiser has to be a member of the FRA (£12 per annum).
    2. The race has to meet the FRA's definition of a fell race, in terms of amount of climb, terrain etc., as defined in the "FRA Rules for Competition".
    When applying for a Permit the organiser agrees to comply with the the "FRA Rules for Competition", the "FRA Safety Requirements for Fell Races" and the "Access and Environmental Guidelines for Organisers of Fell Races". All the documents mentioned here, and others, can be viewed on http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/committee.php

FRA members wanting to apply for a Permit should contact me, [email protected] , for a Permit application form. For new events I require a copy of an OS map showing the route.
    Last edited by FRAFixtures; 15-01-2011 at 08:36 PM.

And before that, make sure you have permission from the landowner(s) for a specified route (thats included in the access guidelines mentioned above) as not every race always gets permission.
    A circular route mostly downhill

I'm sure the race will meet the standards for FRA, and yes i will have a word with the local farmer whose land we would pass through, if all goes well i'm hoping to have the race go over longridge fell from the hurst green area, so fingers crossed as i think there's a real shortage in this area.

Thumbs up Re: New fell race possibility

Chris,
    If you do get the race organised, give me a shout for any help you need, prior to, or on the day.
    Steve.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

Fellhound

Can't imagine there being much scope for a 'proper' fell race around Hurst Green and Longridge Fell. It's mostly farmland and forestry innit?