Page 1101 of 1355 FirstFirst ... 10160110011051109110991100110111021103111111511201 ... LastLast
Results 11,001 to 11,010 of 13548

Thread: Today's poet

Re: Today's poet

Quote Originally Posted by freckle View Post
    i think each fell poet should propose one of their own poems and nominate a favourite one of another fell poet. When you say format do you also mean theme? I think the last time we agreed they had to be fell running related ? there have been a lot about nature and our relationship with it this year, may also want to think of seasonal ones? Not sure it would make publication but could collate some of the wintry ones? just a few ideas....
    Yeah, I think you're right; it'll have to be mainly fell running related for it to be of interest to the magazine readers. None of us probably have got the time to go back through the posts, so to nominate a couple each would probably be wise.

I'm sure we could find someone willing to provide a delightful background picture again too. ;-)
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Radio 4: A Sleepwalk on the Severn by Aice Oswald, on now but catch it on Iplayer...sounds good so far and I do like her work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Radio 4: A Sleepwalk on the Severn by Aice Oswald, on now but catch it on Iplayer...sounds good so far and I do like her work.

..and a reminder that Simon Armitage is on The Culture Show tonight 7pm BBC2

"Simon Armitage has a rare glimpse of TS Eliot, Larkin and Hughes in the archive strand"
    No country for old men.

There's a place near me called Cat Wood
    Where it is too still and too quiet beneath the trees
    And there is a single gravestone,
    Dead centre

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    I like this very much, simple and effective...is it yours?
    It be Wormstones' poem for sure
    'Take the Long Way Home'

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    Yeah, I think you're right; it'll have to be mainly fell running related for it to be of interest to the magazine readers. None of us probably have got the time to go back through the posts, so to nominate a couple each would probably be wise.

I'm sure we could find someone willing to provide a delightful background picture again too. ;-)
    I'm looking forward to going back through and having a read, i'm not often on the forum and so often find myself going back a few pages. So much good stuff. I do wonder whether Fell Poets should have a section that allows a small number of sub threads to emerge, just to help organise it, or perhaps a webpage/blog/facebook page that allows us to easily archive our collective, original stuff without stifling the flow of conversation that makes this thread so readable.

When do we have to make our nominations to make the mag? I'm not sure i'm brave enough to nominate one of my own, but i'll gladly look for a fellrunning one or two on here to nominate.

OOP

That sounds perfect. Last time's compendium was pulled together as a team effort. Just keeping a list of the post numbers of any you find might be a good start. Make sure you've got yours on the list too. They were great.

Quote Originally Posted by OneOffPoet View Post
    I'm looking forward to going back through and having a read, i'm not often on the forum and so often find myself going back a few pages. So much good stuff. I do wonder whether Fell Poets should have a section that allows a small number of sub threads to emerge, just to help organise it, or perhaps a webpage/blog/facebook page that allows us to easily archive our collective, original stuff without stifling the flow of conversation that makes this thread so readable.

When do we have to make our nominations to make the mag? I'm not sure i'm brave enough to nominate one of my own, but i'll gladly look for a fellrunning one or two on here to nominate.

OOP
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Stolly had posted a few lines from this poem before so I have included a few more. I'm a big Byron fan, I compare him with Wordsworth only with "balls"! (Hes will be calling me "earthy" again now )

From Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more,
    From these our interviews, in which I steal
    From all I may be, or have been before,
    To mingle with the Universe, and feel
    What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.

And I have loved thee, Ocean! and my joy
    Of youthful sports was on thy breast to be
    Borne, like thy bubbles, onward; from a boy
    I wantoned with thy breakers,--they to me
    Were a delight; and if the freshening sea
    Made them a terror, 'twas a pleasing fear;
    For I was as it were a child of thee,
    And trusted to thy billows far and near,
    And laid my hand upon thy mane,--as I do here.

Lord Byron
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by OneOffPoet View Post

OOP
    lots of good ideas here One off just need someone to organise it!

I will gladly nominate one of yours, if you could send me them i'll pick one..i seem to remember yours being in last year and being memorable?
    x
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Stolly had posted a few lines from this poem before so I have included a few more. I'm a big Byron fan, I compare him with Wordsworth only with "balls"! (Hes will be calling me "earthy" again now )

From Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more,
    From these our interviews, in which I steal
    From all I may be, or have been before,
    To mingle with the Universe, and feel
    What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.

And I have loved thee, Ocean! and my joy
    Of youthful sports was on thy breast to be
    Borne, like thy bubbles, onward; from a boy
    I wantoned with thy breakers,--they to me
    Were a delight; and if the freshening sea
    Made them a terror, 'twas a pleasing fear;
    For I was as it were a child of thee,
    And trusted to thy billows far and near,
    And laid my hand upon thy mane,--as I do here.

Lord Byron
    I absolutely adore this Alf so thank you for posting...it really resonates with a dilemma I was working through in my mind earlier...i need to do a long run on sunday and i could run with others or on my own...i really feel the need to run alone this week, not that I am anti social...but sometimes its good to go alone to clear the mind and meditate on a few things...so roll on sunday and ten glorious miles of solitariness for "there is a rapture on the lonely shore" x
    Last edited by freckle; 12-03-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Simon Armitage has just sent his apologies, he really wishes he could be here but he is stuck on Cross Fell trying out a pair of Walshes!

In his absence I think us fell poets can turn out some reasonable verse for our favourite fell running artiste, who has a very special birthday today!

Happy birthday Hes!

Ode to Hes
    They say in Masham folklore
    There does exist
    A maiden with a golden braid
    Like some form of “fell mermaid”

Complete with mudclaws
    And inky hands
    She ascends and descends
    the Wensleydale lands

A printmaker by trade
    And worshipper of hares
    She moves through the moorlands
    In manner fleet and fair.

But then like a roe deer
    She’s out of trace
    bar a few stud marks
    and the echo of a smiling face.

Ps... i have to say that one of the things I find most lovely about hes is that in every fell running photie she is smiling her head off! x
    Last edited by freckle; 12-03-2011 at 01:26 AM.