Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forum Diagnosis Required

Re: Forum Diagnosis Required

Did you really run in flip flops? If you did, that might have given you shinsplints from running flatfooted.

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Meh, you're probably right.

My running before that fluctuated between that 13.5mi level, up to about 30mi.

As to the blisters, yeah, I know I couldn't get me trainers on over two beauts I had on my heels. I went as far as I could in my flip-flops though...

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Erm, yep. About 4.5mi over 2 runs, just to keep mileage up when I couldn't get me shoes on. Was that wrong?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Erm, yep. About 4.5mi over 2 runs, just to keep mileage up when I couldn't get me shoes on. Was that wrong?
    well... the action of going foward, flipping the flip-flop to stay on your foot will have antagonised the tibialis anterior (muscle on the front of your leg), not wrong per se, but in your case wrong as its aggravating the issue that you are trying to prevent...

My shin splints experience was gained by running downhill in the Fellsman. Most of my training had been on road, I'd been a road runner for years with no history of injury and no previous shin trouble.

It was the tibialis anterior muscles tightening that caused the problem - massaging these muscles might help you Softie.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

I am really glad that explained this properly Zephr because I had no idea how to but just knew from my own experience that that gave me shinsplints once and I am not generally someone who suffers from them.

Hope they clear up soon SouthernSoftie.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    well... the action of going foward, flipping the flip-flop to stay on your foot will have antagonised the tibialis anterior (muscle on the front of your leg), not wrong per se, but in your case wrong as its aggravating the issue that you are trying to prevent...

Thanks for the input folks
    Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    I am really glad that explained this properly Zephr because I had no idea how to but just knew from my own experience that that gave me shinsplints once and I am not generally someone who suffers from them.

Hope they clear up soon SouthernSoftie.
    Funnily enough I cut my flip-flop running short as I felt a tightness down the front of my shins - which I did put down to having to extend my toes to keep the flip (or indeed, the flop) on my feet when striding forward. However, once stopped, there was no lingering soreness, and it was only the day after running all those miles last week, on my rest day that the pain kicked in.

Maybe the damage was done already and the mileage just brought it out in my muscles? Hey-ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    My shin splints experience was gained by running downhill in the Fellsman. Most of my training had been on road, I'd been a road runner for years with no history of injury and no previous shin trouble.

It was the tibialis anterior muscles tightening that caused the problem - massaging these muscles might help you Softie.
    Cheers Stef, I'm icing, massaging and resting (as much as I can). Hopefully it'll go within the next couple of weeks so I can slowly start building up to last week's mileage again before my ultra in June. I was hoping to up my mileage further, however I don't think that's realistic now witout going too far too fast and risking further injury.

Bums.

I've read this thread through twice and I still can't beleive you'd go running in flip-flops! :w00t:

I've always found second skin blister protection to be good enough to carry on running after getting blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I've read this thread through twice and I still can't beleive you'd go running in flip-flops! :w00t:

I've always found second skin blister protection to be good enough to carry on running after getting blisters.
    Flip-flops are the most versatile footwear...ever!! I've walked all round Pendle in them; over Easter was lifting and carrying concrete slabs in the back garden in 'em, then breaking them up with a pick-axe...what could possibly go wrong there??!!:w00t:

I tried taping the blisters up but the pressure on the heel was still too much. If I was in an event, I would've persevered, but as I was trying to get into a training routine I thought it best to let them heal a bit so I didn't do myself any more mischief and end up losing more training time...& look where that got me!!