Thread: Yew trees

Master and MR

Yew trees

Could anyone point me in the right direction to the old yew trees that the national trust say are in the borrowdale valley.They quote thousands of years old.? Im not a tree expert but this past couple of years ive been trying to gain knowledge on how to identify trees which isnt as easy as you think.Id love to find one of these yew trees.Anyone know wherebouts they are.Chris k ?

Re: Yew trees

There are apparently four trees in a row on the right hand side quarter of a mile before seathwaite. Maybe these are the yews? Try having a look in wAinewright. Good luck daz. Yews are qute distinct, a thick knobbly reddy coloured bark, needle type leaves that don't look like leaves, very soft to touch, there's always a yew in a churchyard as they are poisonous so cattle and sheep don't eat them and apparently keep away and don't trample on the bodies in the graves! Come and see the keskadale yaks and the rigg beck yaks (oaks!) in you new tree hobby!

Did somebody call me? They're actually marked on the 1.25 map by Seathwaite as the Borrowdale Yews.........so why not have a navigation exercise and test your skills Daz? You'll recognise them by AT's description above, but don't look for magnificent specimens, they have been battered and bruised for hundreds of years and lost most of their limbs. Have fun!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Master and MR

Appreciate the info guys
    Yep I plan on visiting them.

Grid location: NY 235125
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Mr B, you've given him too much information - he'll run straight to them now! Daz take a camera, when you do find them, they are rather special.
    A circular route mostly downhill

I'm relying on the accuracy of the OS map I've often found them to be out of date regarding small scale features like walls/copses etc so we might never see him again! If you come out of it alive Daz, i'd love to see some piccies. I'm often infuriated by their inaccuracy, haven't the OS found the money for another Lidar survey yet?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

If you want to see some yew trees, you could go down to wiltshire in august, and do the Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 trail race/walk which goes through a large, ancient yew forest which isn't normally open to the public. Some incredibly old trees in there, and very atmospheric.