Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Beetroot juice

Re: Beetroot juice

Both high in nitrates too....I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I must say it didn't do you any harm on Boxing day, Mark. Good result, Mate. Didn't see you in the Pub afterwards, though. (Is there a theme here? Is this where I'm going wrong?)
    I did go to the pub - I thought I might have won some jelly babies. No such luck!
    It was nice to see you and Pat though, and I really enjoyed the race - probably the shortest I've ever done.

And it was an unexpectedly nice pub too - I think we'll be going back for a family pub lunch some time soon.

I've been knocking back one of the concentrated beet-it 'shots' about 2 hours before medium/long races and I've definately noticed an improvement in stamina despite my scepticism. I don't have one every day - just before an event as they're pretty expensive; I get them from Holland and Barratt.
    They taste pretty grim unless they're really cold tho and the 'purple rain' effect is quite startling after the race (especially if you happen to have had a Berrocca that morning too!!)

I'm on my second consecutive bottle.
    No, not today: a bottle seems to last about a week.
    I quaffed todays helping with gusto - I'm really starting to quite enjoy it.

But - if beetroots are so cheap, how come the juice costs a fortune?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post

I guess because a) people are lazy and b) its a "superfood" of sorts so they see it as a shortcut to being super fit, which of course it isn't.

It does work wonders as a supplement to fitness though, even if it is disgusting.
    Run today, for you might not be able tomorrow.

Great Uncle Bulgaria

My social life has taken an unexpected turn for the better recently, is it likely to help there as well or is just running? Any thoughts/experiences or am I going to have to construct some sort of longitudinal survey?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post

I'm not convinced organic beetroots are cheap (or even obtainable), and it would take an awful lot to make a litre of juice. I don't know what juicing machines are like nowadays, but in the past when I had one it took ages and lots of effort to clean the filter etc afterwards - if you put any value on your time it's worth buying the juice ready made.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.