Thread: Anyone from Heckmondwike?

Anyone from Heckmondwike?

I've been researching my family history for a few years with some success but i have come to a dead end looking for info about my
    great grandad. About 1885 he moved from Heckmondwike to Holme in Westmorland along with about another 100 people but i've not
    been able to find out why such a number of people would move en masse.

Is there anyone on here who is local to Heckmondwike who knows of any Local History groups there or any other contacts that might
    be able to help

Re: Anyone from Heckmondwike?

I'd give the local paper a ring they'll be able to put you in touch with someone. http://www.spenboroughguardian.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    I've been researching my family history for a few years with some success but i have come to a dead end looking for info about my
    great grandad. About 1885 he moved from Heckmondwike to Holme in Westmorland along with about another 100 people but i've not
    been able to find out why such a number of people would move en masse.

Is there anyone on here who is local to Heckmondwike who knows of any Local History groups there or any other contacts that might
    be able to help
    R H, I'm always interested in local and family history. Just a guess, but could it not be that the old Holme Mills "poached" some mill operatives from Heckmondwike? What year was Holme Mills opened?

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    I'd give the local paper a ring they'll be able to put you in touch with someone. http://www.spenboroughguardian.co.uk/
    Cheers Dan, tried that with no luck, had a letter published in it as well with no replies

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    Cheers Dan, tried that with no luck, had a letter published in it as well with no replies
    Richard have you tried the local historical society?

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    R H, I'm always interested in local and family history. Just a guess, but could it not be that the old Holme Mills "poached" some mill operatives from Heckmondwike? What year was Holme Mills opened?

Ian.
    They were carpet weavers and their families who worked at Holme Mills. I'd not thought about the poaching possibility, i was more thinking of a mill in Heckmondwike closing
    and them moving on looking for work.

I suppose it could have just been that they were desperate to get out of Yorkshire, you could'nt blame them could you