Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too much time running?

Too much time running?

How much time spent running is too much? My partner does not run (or have any interest in running) and does not have any other time consuming hobbies. It seems that the time I spend running is too much in his eyes. I train about 8 hours a week, trying to get one long run of 4 hours in at the weekend. I feel like I have already compromised a lot on training, and even running early in the morning to minimise time not spent together is not enough. I'm starting to wish I was content doing short races! How do other people work this out with non running partners?

Re: Too much time running?

Tolerance of each other and their interests. If your partner has not got that now (of whatever hobby you have), I would humbly suggest a new partner.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I once "lost" a girlfriend because she thought i was having an affair. She couldn't belive i was cycling an hour to work, an hour back and then going for a hour and a half run. I myself couldn't belive she actually enjoyed watching soaps on TV for four hours+ per night. Don't really think we were suited.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

8 hours a week?? Not planning a BG anytime soon then? 8 hours averaged out is barely more than an hour a day.

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    running early in the morning to minimise time not spent together is not enough.
    Even that does not work as I get accused of being knackered all day (not without some justification though!)

My partner.... does not have any other time consuming hobbies.
    what the heck does he do with his time?

it's difficult. my mrs is similar, but then she did spend the whole day with her sewing machine yesterday! I tend to do a lot of running in my lunch 'hour' but I appreciate that isn't always possible. Early mornings and late nights are the other option but then you can fall into just being knackered all the time.

he needs pointing in the right direction. e.g. towards a time consuming hobby!
    Adam Speed
    P&B

...I've been struggling with this for several years and often feel guilty about going out training (especially with others), or if I dont go out to keep the peace I feel resentful.
    Not good for you bah. From what you're saying it seems you're not a happy chappy (chapess). Perhaps molehill has a point in the last seven words of his post. Don't suppress the situation for too much longer.

Some interesting discussions - I currently get my training in going to and from work, but it does mean that I am up at 0545 and I dont get home to around 1900 so I dont get to sit down to tea dinner until about 1930. The training though is crappy miles on pavements as opposed to a decent hill run. I do try to tow the line though and not train at weekends and now that I have to travel so far for races I am only looking at a long race per month, although I will probably sneak a couple of extra ones in.

All that said, she is happy for me to have a hobby and even encourages it by buying bits n bobs for it as presents etc. She has even accompanied me to some of the races (prior to moving), standing in rain and snow to watch me come tumbling down the hill covered in mud, blood, sweat and snot just to throw up at her feet.

I balance this out by giving up the mans most prized possession - the TV control and have to watch crappy soaps in the evening and shopping. I have found that when planning holidays that she does not take kindly to finding that there 'just so happens to be a local run'. Or planning a run requiring an overnight stop on key dates of birthdays etc - this is currently an ongoing 'debate' that I am having.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

I would echo molehills sentiments, I'm afraid.
    Run today, for you might not be able tomorrow.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

Mrs DFTS and I have been happily married for 35 years and put it down to not being joined at the hip and being able to do our own thing when we want. It helps that she is into mountain walking and skiing, so can understand my passion for running and climbing.

I'd be worried about a relationship if you feel you have to be with the other person all the time.