Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Rucksack

Re: Racing Rucksack

Anyone used a Haglofs Endurance Rucksack on here?

Looking like my first choice now, seen as TNF aren't bothering trying to sell the Enduro 13.

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Anyone used a Haglofs Endurance Rucksack on here?

Looking like my first choice now, seen as TNF aren't bothering trying to sell the Enduro 13.
    I've been using the Haglofs Endurance sac for the last 18 months or so. Being short I found it hard to find a running sac that was a good fit and comfortable for long days out, and the Haglofs was the only thing that worked for me. The feature that sold it to me is that you can adjust the way the sac sits on your back because there is a separate yoke that goes round your neck and the sac is attached to that with an extendable strap. When I first tried it I followed the instructions to get the waist and chest straps adjusted to be comfortable and then get somebody to raise and lower the sac itself until it's in the right place. This meant that the bottle holsters are at the right level to access easily while running and that's proved to be the case whenever I've used it.

My two gripes about the sac (when it comes to gear nothings ever absolutely perfect) are the shortage of handy pockets for gels, energy bars, etc. There are a few but I've had to add a Salomon pouch to the waistbelt to get enough volume for the stuff I carry on ultra's. That has added to my other gripe - the price. When I think of what I've spent to get the sac to be right for me I realise that it's a lot, but when I'm a long way into a long run and the sac is still comfortable and doing its job it seems like money well spent.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Anyone have experience of the Omm Idrate? I (still) can't decide whether having a bladder is better than bottles, or if its sacrificing comfort/space/adding unnecessary bulk.

What do the more experienced ultra runners prefer? Bottles or bladders?
    Run today, for you might not be able tomorrow.

Bottles are much easier to fill and so you do not hae to carry as much if tere are refueling stops

Bottles everytime. No question.
    You only end up carrying what liquid you need (great when there are varying distances between fill points), you can fill them from streams, you can vary what's in them (e.g. water in one and sports drink in the other), and my own personal favourite......

they double up as mugs on LDWA events!
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Quote Originally Posted by tired calves View Post
    I (still) can't decide whether having a bladder is better than bottles, or if its sacrificing comfort/space/adding unnecessary bulk.

What do the more experienced ultra runners prefer? Bottles or bladders?
    I've used both.

Truthfully, I don't think there is any "speed" advantage in bottles. I used a bladder in the CCC in 2011 and was quickly in and out of each aid station, much more so than those around me. I used a Source 1.5 litre bladder which required access via an external zipped pocket (Raid Light Endurance 10l) and a filler cap that needed unscrewing. The key thing I find is to practice these skills until you can do these small tasks with your eyes closed. Arguably, access via the open rear pocket of the i-Drate should be slightly quicker.

I never filled the bladder to capacity; I usually carried somewhere between 750 cls and 1 litre between checkpoints. I also carried a small 250 ml bottle with plain water in a side pocket for those moments when I had had enough of the iso solution. And of course I had my compulsory goblet for on the hoof refills from water troughs or streams.

I have used 2 Raid Light 750 ml bottles in OMM i-gammy holders on the OMM i-Drate.

For me the key is comfort. I find a bladder system much more comfortable than bottles and plan to do both UTSDT and UTMB this year with a bladder system. This is partly due to the fact that I am now using the Salomon S Lab Advanced Skin 12 pack for almost all my running and that has a bladder "plumbed in". The bladder can be accessed and filled without even taking the pack off if you have a support team to fill you up, because it slots into the pack in its own sleeve with an open top. But the whole system is wonderfully comfortable to run with; all nice and tight to the torso, nothing bouncing up and down.

Having said that I am waiting for some bottles to arrive so that I can test the Advanced Skin with bottles in the 2 front pockets; I'm keeping an open mind on how this will go. But the system will have to be extraordinarily comfortable to make me forgo the bladder system.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

I've just used a RaidLight endurance (10L) on a 12 miler, fitting all the kit I want to take into my ultra (and a few things I dont want to have to take!).

The pack was excellent - my thoughts are that the layout is great, lots of little pockets, and as you're running if you ever have to think to adjust anything, or want to reach for the waist pockets they're just in the right, intuitive place. Plenty of space, it sat perfectly above my waist with the lower strap, and the strap pocket is well padded so that whatever you place in it you won't feel. Properly adjusted I could barely feel it, and it didn't move out of place. I'm 5'10" and would say I have an average torso length.

The official bottle holder is - for me - not great. If you are not flexible, you'll struggle to get the bottle back in - at least this might get better with practice. I said "official" because the plethora of pockets I carried another drinks bottle in one of the mesh side pockets and it fitted beautifully.

Next run will be tried with a bladder, I have a 3 litre one which I suspect is a little oversized, but will make do with for now.
    Run today, for you might not be able tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    I've been using the Haglofs Endurance sac for the last 18 months or so. Being short I found it hard to find a running sac that was a good fit and comfortable for long days out, and the Haglofs was the only thing that worked for me. The feature that sold it to me is that you can adjust the way the sac sits on your back because there is a separate yoke that goes round your neck and the sac is attached to that with an extendable strap. When I first tried it I followed the instructions to get the waist and chest straps adjusted to be comfortable and then get somebody to raise and lower the sac itself until it's in the right place. This meant that the bottle holsters are at the right level to access easily while running and that's proved to be the case whenever I've used it.

My two gripes about the sac (when it comes to gear nothings ever absolutely perfect) are the shortage of handy pockets for gels, energy bars, etc. There are a few but I've had to add a Salomon pouch to the waistbelt to get enough volume for the stuff I carry on ultra's. That has added to my other gripe - the price. When I think of what I've spent to get the sac to be right for me I realise that it's a lot, but when I'm a long way into a long run and the sac is still comfortable and doing its job it seems like money well spent.
    A good review! I reckon I'll be picking one up soon

Without wishing to wind anyone up...

I was in Keswick for a long weekend starting Thursday so I popped into Planet Fear (as well as every other outdoor shop!)...and popped out with a North Face Enduro 13 for £45!!!

I have a few niggles with the Go-Lite, so we'll see how the Enduro goes...

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBritain View Post
    Without wishing to wind anyone up...

I was in Keswick for a long weekend starting Thursday so I popped into Planet Fear (as well as every other outdoor shop!)...and popped out with a North Face Enduro 13 for £45!!!

I have a few niggles with the Go-Lite, so we'll see how the Enduro goes...
    Just ordered one over the phone with them. Bargain, £20 cheaper than direct from TNF website!