Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Ticks help!

Re: Ticks help!

Well I went to the GP... she seemed all for pumping me full of antibiotics however she then consulted the local immunology (sp?) department and they advised that she wait a week. If the symptons persist then I get tested for the disease. It would be extremely unlucky for both me and my wife (displaying cold symptons) to get L.D. possibly a medical first?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Well I went to the GP... she seemed all for pumping me full of antibiotics however she then consulted the local immunology (sp?) department and they advised that she wait a week. If the symptons persist then I get tested for the disease. It would be extremely unlucky for both me and my wife (displaying cold symptons) to get L.D. possibly a medical first?
    Are they waiting to give a blood test time to become abnormal?

Yes I believe so. The longer they wait the higher the chance of getting positive test result. Thing is I now feel hunkydory and like I could punch a cow to death.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Yes I believe so. The longer they wait the higher the chance of getting positive test result. Thing is I now feel hunkydory and like I could punch a cow to death.
    I would still want to have that blood test if it was me ........

in the news again, Tick cases(lymes) is on the increase

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16706942

Good little Video with it, first half really good, ignore the second bit about staying on paths and avoiding deep vegetation

It’s that time of year again folks! Ticks will soon be active so read on to find out how to stay protected!

Ticks can carry harmful infections that can be transmitted to humans. It is estimated that each year around 3,000 people in the UK contract Lyme disease (Borreliosis) from a tick bite.

If you take part in outdoor activities or simply enjoy being in the countryside, or parks and gardens where wildlife is present, you may be at risk from tick bites. In fact, research from the School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, published in January 2012, suggests that the prevalence of Lyme disease bacteria in the UK tick population is considerably higher than most recent estimates indicated.

Tick Bite Prevention Week, supported by Mosi-guard Natural™, runs from 26 March-1 April 2012, and is an annual programme that helps promote awareness of tick-borne diseases and effective tick-bite prevention for at-risk groups, including pet owners and their animals.

Don't panic but be 'Tick Aware'!

Simple precautions can help to keep you safe. The campaign's Patron, Bushcraft and Survival expert Ray Mears, shares his Top Tips that can be taken to help prevent ticks from biting people and pets.

The great outdoors is there to be enjoyed, so make sure you visit www.tickbitepreventionweek.org for lots of useful information and advice.

this was put on the bouldering forum and thought it was good advice. hope the person doesnt mind me just copy and pasting there hard work.,
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Oh boy
    I managed to collect at least three of these beggars from taking the 'shortcut' in Wednesday's Boars Head race. Pretty certain it was from there as deep vegatation, near sheep grazing land and deer country. Anyway kind nurses at Stepping Hill took them out for me and I don't feel too bad.

Can these things live on yoru head? I'm convinced every little itch is one of them but don't fancy shaving my head to find out.Will they drop off and die in time? And should I go to my docs as a matter of course just to explain that I've been biten but (touch wood) so far feel okay? Am aware of this delaying a blood test thing - does that just tell you early that you've got it? Do anti biotics effectivly prevent anything serious happening but you'll always have Lyme Disease?

Thanks for any help in advance and hope anyone bitten gets well soon.

Cheers

Bloody hell, I had to open my big mouth, I've never been bit by a Tick says I to MR1470 and Shaunetto, just found a Nymph tick on the side of my leg, got it off in one piece but it was a tenacious devil.

What to do next, Hospital? doctors are closed. wait until Monday?

I imagine if you went to hospital with a tick bit they would probably think you were an idiot. Docs next week if you're concerned I would suggest. Have you had a reaction or is it just a bite?
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I imagine if you went to hospital with a tick bit they would probably think you were an idiot. Docs next week if you're concerned I would suggest. Have you had a reaction or is it just a bite?
    Nothing more than a midge bite at the moment. spoke to the team Docs and they said save the Tick for ID wait a couple of weeks and watch for symptoms. If bulls eye or flu like symptoms go to GP ASAP.

First I've ever had which is unusual I guess given how much running I do with shorts...