Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite Famau

Re: Favourite Famau

Right, it's a rubbish forecast, legs are leaden. Let's go!

Famau's Five challenge done. About 15m and 4500' of climbing. Up and down Moel Famau five different ways. I'll do a proper description later, but in brief...

1. Start from Bwlch Penbarra top car park. Up the Penbarras main path to the top. Easy one to warm up on. ONE.

2. Return same way a short distance. Break out R on poor trods/off piste SE and E on shoulder of Moel y Gaer, to eventually meet the 2nd steep descent on the Hotfoot race route at the right angle fence junction.

3. Turn R when you meet the stream and head towards the Miserable Stone Shoot. Up this to the top. TWO.

4. Head E off main ridge to first col after steep descent. L on permissive bridleway. Follow this and break out L heading ESE and descending shoulder to meet stream crossing above Tyn-y-Celyn.

5. Reverse the Llangynhafal loop on good grassy track to start of that race. Turn R and W up steep hill, as on Hotfoot race route. Steep climbing then rising contour R-wards after Famau summit hoves into view. Meet main ridge at col S of minor summit with cairn. Up to top. THREE.

6. Reverse ridge route, heading towards Moel Arthur. At col NW of Moel Dwyll head R on good track towards Cilcain. Break R soon on grassy track and WSW heading to top reservoir. Just above the reservoir reach a narrow wooden bridge across stream.

7. Turn R steeply up hill S staying on narrow track above stream valley. Turn L and W when the angle eases and contour heading for smaller track to summit in broad valley. As used on Nav Leg of 2008 fell relays. FOUR.

8. Head N on stony descent (Clwydian Way) keeping forest on R. Straight across at bridleway crossroads. Steep descent heading for bottom reservoir. Pass reservoir on R and turn R on broad bridleway path. Contouring climb, passing railway sleeper section. Just after the house, turn sharply back on yourself on rising grassy track. Keep forest on L, till you meet crossroads mentioned above. Turn L and rejoin stony descent used earlier. FIVE.

9. Back down initial climb of 1. making use of alternative narrow paths not used on climb.

Attachment 6189

It'd be great if it caught on as a bit of a DIY challenge route. A bit like the Calderdale Challenge on the forum. Let me know what you think

Cheers,
    Steve

I do a four ascent run.

1 up from bottom car park (toilets) on motorway.

2 down and up loggerheads track

3 down to clywd valley (follow ridge north then head left). Along base to start of green green grass, right at bench and up, follow ridge path to top)

4 down to cilcain water works car park and back up.

About 4000' climbing. A beauty. Hoping to do it on the weekend

I've run up at least nine different ways - there are more if you go off piste!

brilliant that Steve, I liked your map picture too, looks like a rose with some leaves, can you choose another set of routes and maybe make the pic like an animal of some sort...

ps how are the legs?
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t: