Re: Borrowdale 07

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Another one I cant blinking make
    me to
    The race does not always go to the swift, but to the ones who keep running

T'other day my mate Popsy says to me
    'I'm thinking of doing the Borrowdale Bash in August, do you fancy it?'
    Now i had considered doing it but was of a mind to leave it until 2008 as this is my first year on the fells and i regard Borrowdale as a pretty heavyweight event.
    Popsy has much less experience of fellracing than I do so I was suprised to learn he was considering doing it and wondered if he knew exactly what it entailed.
    Anyway, the upshot is that I now intend to enter. I would love to get a recce in beforehand but this Saturday I'm racing my bike at Keswick then am going to recce The Rydal Round (again) for Thursday.
    I hope to recce Borrowdale the following weekend which is just the week before the race - would that be OK do you reckon, or is the severity of the course likely to leave me too broken to repeat 7 days later?
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    T'other day my mate Popsy says to me
    'I'm thinking of doing the Borrowdale Bash in August, do you fancy it?'
    Now i had considered doing it but was of a mind to leave it until 2008 as this
    is my first year on the fells and i regard Borrowdale as a pretty heavyweight event.
    Popsy has much less experience of fellracing than I do so I was suprised to learn he was considering doing it and wondered if he knew exactly what it entailed.
    Anyway, the upshot is that I now intend to enter. I would love to get a recce in beforehand but this Saturday I'm racing my bike at Keswick then am going to recce The Rydal Round (again) for Thursday.
    I hope to recce Borrowdale the following weekend which is just the week before the race - would that be OK do you reckon, or is the severity of the course likely to leave me too broken to repeat 7 days later?
    It's not a case of being 'too broken', more will you have the necessary 'mountaincraft' to get round in crap weather using a map and compass, rather than relying on following someone or having reccied it in perfect weather.
    Borrowdale does seem to have the image of being a soft touch long race but I can assure you it isn't. Some very experienced runners at the front of the field, including a local (who will remain nameless), got lost last year.
    It will only take a day with weather like we've had today to happen and there will be much bigger problems.
    It is <highly> likely that in future years you will be asked to pre-enter giving previous experience of long races to be eligible to run at Borrowdale.
    There have in the past been some complete numpties (no personal offence to you intended) turning up on the day.
    If you have any doubts about your ability could I suggest that you do a few more medium category races and approach it with the confidence of being happy you'll get round rather than having a nightmare and being put off for life.

Master and MR

this is why im recc twice
    im not the best navigator in the world but fully accept that in bad weather the fells can be a hard hard place to be
    and ive had experience of it
    grisedale and edale gave me a wake up call and told me that you just cannot rely on being a decent runner to get round

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Shame Jamie...pm me and we will go on a long un local some time

Who's coming on sat now then?

Emmilou
    Daz H
    Moo
    Sunnysideup
    Grit Britain
    Calf
    The Juicer
    Mr1470

?
    Thanks a bundle Moo - I have been edited out!

PS - weather will be cr*p

The foothills of the Lake District (English)

Reccied the first leg to Esk Hause Last Night and scurried off down Grains Gill. Some big thunder clouds were brewing over the Scafell range, with a few claps for good measure. Lots of water about, the trod from woof gill to allen crags is quite well defined in the most part..phew There must be quite a bit of recceing goin on. Might be heading out to do Esk Hause to Sty Head after work tonight to try and get the route off the pike sorted...well we'll see what the weathers got in store first. You guy's have a good day out on sat. I hope the weathers kind.