Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof as minimum standard

Re: Waterproof as minimum stan

And would an RO upset their sponsors by refusing to accept their kit as waterproof?
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Those Inov8 mistlites were a bit of a disgrace IMO. I bought the top and trousers as a novice and believed them to be waterproof according to the marketing, but they turn out not to be.

I've long since binned the jacket (crap zip) but still keep the trousers. I've always thought they would be sufficient if I had to stop running but I'm wondering now if they have to go.

I'm with Rob's idea, I don't think its fair to dismiss it as ticking a box to pass the kit check. Cheap waterproof kit might be no good for running in, but the reason you're carrying it is to wear if something goes wrong and you have to stop and wait. Even cheap kit can do that.

Thanks for all the responses.

You have all come to my previous thoughts on this that I had prior to posting. I own good and expensive windproof kit. Having previously worked outside in Cumbria for 5 and a half years I appreciate waterproof gear but I like something completely impermeable for slow and sedentary periods, which is why I believe we carry the stuff for injury/getting lost/assisting others. Cheap and cheerful would cover this as I don't want to run in the stuff.

I can't help but think that the change is related to a certain company releasing an upgrade to their previous lightweight range which has taken it from water resistant to waterproof. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but this one smells a little of collusion.

I have a cheap Trespass Jacket I paid £20 (Winfields sale should have been £40)for and some pants were around £12.50 (Trespass shop in Fort William pre Ben last year). They have taped seams and are classed as fully waterproof. The top looked almost as good as the £140 berghaus's they had and works really well, (although it is a bit bigger than my windproof jacket - montane marathon). Think there may be no small alternative which is going to meet the new rules but we will have to see.

Dan

ps will be taking these PEris Horseshoe on saturday, but i defo used a windproof top at Peris last year.
    Last edited by dantodman; 12-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.

I have Montane Atomic DT waterproof jacket and trousers. I have got my money out of them as I wear them for walking if the weather is bad as well as carrying them in my bumbag for races. Not as light as the latest stuff. The jacket is about 250g (large) and the trousers are 175g (large). The waterproof trousers tape across the bottoms to stop flapping and the zips on the legs allow you easily to get them on over running shoes or boots.

I have a pair of waterproof trousers I got from Lakes Runner when it was still around that are by a brand I've never heard of and looked a bit like MC Hammer trousers the one time I've put them on (in the shop).

Waterproof, though!
    Last edited by L.F.F.; 12-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

I too have mistletoe trousers and they have passed kit check in past and were sold as waterproof. However they are not very waterproof in reality and I would always pack my better ones if the forecast was bad, so woul reluctantly understand if they failed a kit check in the future. Would like to know where the exact requirements will be posted, or is it RO discretion? Bit expensive to keep buying updates or not being sure

Super Moderator

Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by gaw View Post
    Why is that? I have Inov8 Mistlite trousers and they are sold as waterproof and (not to hand so can't check) am pretty sure they have taped seams.
    Inov described them as wind/water resistant, not as waterproof http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Pro...Shell-210.html. Although I have seen one shop that advertised them waterproof.

Some of their new clothing range is waterproof http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/pro...sp?L=26&G=Male .Well priced for propper 2.5 layer(like paclite) cags too.

Well when I bought then from Pete Bland five years ago, they were sold to me as waterproof and we had a long conversation about kit checks and the fact that most so called waterproofs weren't but the leggings were fine! Plus they have passed every kit check I've had including Fellsman, Lakeland 50, Three Peaks etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadbolt View Post
    I seriously doubt whether they will pass a kit check under the new rules.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'