Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Is discrimination wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    I wasn't trying to embarass you Richard other than pointing out that most RO have to create a written plan for people because the RO pack has nothing to say about it, and that is the document that needs a discussion. Without it there would be chaos, because too little defined, too much reliance on memory and verbal communication , and that is the real discussion about safety. What needs to be in that plan.
    I never thought you were. You would perfer me to make public my EMP now perhaps and I'm not willing to do that because it will be half a story, for the sake of less than 3 weeks.
    So on or around the 3rd of Feb my EMP will be published with pre-race planning and post race reflection for anyone who cares to take the time to judge whether it seems a sensible way to deal with Safety.

By the way, it will perhaps be clear then how I see it as additional insurance on my part.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    By the way, it will perhaps be clear then how I see it as additional insurance on my part.
    Hardly additional Richard, It is the only thing you use on the day. The thing is, the rules have nothing to say on the matters of substance of on the day race management. The rules and that plan are not alternatives. Pulling out the rule book on the day in practical terms is so much chip paper.

The plan in essence is: Who specifically is tasked to do what , and when, and where, and how, and what do you want them to do in contingencies? If there are teams of two who does which? And who specifically should communicate with whom, how and when? Who does what before the race? Who does what after?

The event plan is the only document that matters on the day: Yet someone show me where RO are even asked to create one? I can show you in every comparable sport. Despite the fact that in one form or another all of our RO do so at the most primitive level just by saying "I will get X to do Y, and A to do B so better tell them, and what to do if...". That is a plan. Just not enough of one!

Since many tragedies have somewhere an element of bad memory, communication or misunderstanding , the need to put that in writing is vital, also so it can be reviewed another duty of managing safety. The best RO are the ones with the best thought out plans

If you have a management plan correctly created, you no longer need (or want) prescriptive rules. It actually makes for problems.

Runners should not be reading so many pages of rules AND the race day instructions as well. It makes for confusion. There should be a single on the day runners instruction sheet with everything together in one place as the "entire agreement". which is one part of the overall management plan.

All good RO use one, whether they call it that, and it may be scribbled notes at present ( it should not be) , it maybe printed, it is objectively dangerous if it is only in someones head. There is probably little consistency . Since that is the one the event safety relies on, that is the one that needs proper control, and clearly needs help to create it. The undefined and poorly defined areas of that, were one of the main takeaways from the incident evidence.

And so on.

That is the fundamental problem, that Andy and I have been trying to get over.

That plan is the only important thing on the day (and leading up to it). Most do it in one shape or form, and that is the thing that needs guidance. People are so fixated on rules, we don't seem to be able to get through that the plan is the critical thing.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 14-01-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Thing is proper safety management should manage the risk of forgetting. And proper control of safety documentation is all part of that

Had the document not been named "current" - and both documents contained a title and validity date, you would not have to act at all.

I tried to reach you - failed: so hope this reaches.

Same problem exists on the organisers page.

Two documents purport to be "guidelines" one without any date in the link.

( the one for 2014 still says "no hazardous ground" so please urge Mr Breeze to read the definition of hazard - eg the one in UKA safety policy, and correct his clear mistake in them )

And the present checklist link goes to the guidelines instead! - or it seemed to when I clicked it just now.

In any event I understand the checklist has been superceded, with an empty checklist: but neither the old or the new seme to be there, neither with dates, so who knows?

So should there be two checklists or one? What is the current checklist? When was it reviewed/or approved and by who?

So Please please start taking document control seriously,

(and urge Mr Harris to do the same to be VERY cautious in calling anything a best practise document without proper review , consultation or trialling prior to putting on the site - so if their status is just a "dustbin of ideas" with no warranties as to efficacy - "use at your peril", please actually call them that so there is there can be no confusion as to what is good practise)
    Can you rename those links accordingly to "ideas" please Brett
    Practice darling, practice. You obviously haven't had enough, please post more and more often.
    Lets get it rite!

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Spelling Bee View Post
    Practice darling, practice. You obviously haven't had enough, please post more and more often.
    I can only quote from HSE website!
    I am "Sharing Best Practise information towards making the work place a safer place"

Which don't even got a verb, and it ain't good english, it aren't a sentenSe or even make Cense, Im wondering about the speling too, but heh, when was that ever a factor? Is a government document after all.
    What they said is more important than how!
    So, spelling bee I say ZEE is the last letter of the alphabet, that will give you a palpitation!, but y'alls can take a raincheck on that.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 15-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.

AI, please clear your inbox!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Spelling Bee View Post
    Practise what one preaches.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/practise

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacewan View Post
    Ha Ha Ha
    There's a kick in the honey box for the smelly bee.
    YES

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Ha Ha Ha
    There's a kick in the honey box for the smelly bee.
    YES
    In what way? Practise is a verb, practice is a noun. It takes a lot of practice to be able to practise what one preaches.