Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft a week

Re: 10,000ft a week

I agree Andy, I get to the Lakes when I can, and am off to Skye for a fortnight next week, so will get out on average a minimum of 3 hours a day plus a couple of 12 hour days. While running at Home I often train on deep sand, rough terrain on the North York Moors.
    Downhill running - in 2003 I had a failed attempt at the Bgr with Richard Askwith supporting me on leg 2, a month later I tried again to no avail, I found downhill was my weakness, so looked at ways to train these leg muscles while away from the fells, over years I found a routine which worked incredibly well for me, I already had very strong thigh muscles and big legs, just had to get them used to the constant pressure on them, the eye foot coordination, I had from years of martial arts, II can usually descend just as fast at the end of a 100 miler as at near the start and can usually read the ground well at a fast pace. UTMB last year after 42 hours and 9400metres of ascent I sprinted down the final long descent into Chamonix no problem and had also sped down tons of the descents throughout the race, people pass me on the ascents and I fly by them on the descents. I tend to use a sea defence wall, short but very steep, I use this for reps (usually an hour continously) and really hammer the quads, I also hold what I call a wall stance, take a position as if seated on a chair with feet together and my back straigth against the wall, this puts a huge amount of workload on the quads, I have built up to 10mins, directly after a treadmill session I hold it for 5mins, I do sessions on my mtb usually ride to work (30 mile round trip) I do them in an interval/fartlek way, ride for a certain amount of time, then get out of the seat, lean forward and go for it, I use clippys so concentrate on pulling my legs towards my upper body, work through the burn then return to a gentle ride. When I get to the Lakes/Highlands I get out on the hill as much as I can! My weakness is uphill speed, especially at a weight of 15.5 stone,

Re: 10,000ft a week

sounds like you've got that covered then. You know what you're doing.
    Uphill speed - is not really a requirement just steady steady strength. all but the gentle climbs on the BG are for walking

Bumping this thread up as useful on front page.

One question. ( for now) is it best to do the 10k (more in the couple of months leading to my attempt) over a weekend and one hill rep session. Over do you count the recovery runs?

Super Moderator
    spen, I think most folk count anything. I even used to add in any hill-walking, but if we went out for say a walk in the Dales, I'd still try to walk uphill strongly. Generally people suggest that the bulk of your climb would be done in one session (or two over a weekend). Bearing in mind most legs are 6,000ft, then 10,000 ft isn't as much as it first seems
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Derby Tub, We discussed this 10,000/week on another thread. I want to clarify how many weeks should I be doing this type of climbing before the ramp down?

Super Moderator
    There are various figures people look at for "mid-pack to mortals" ie runners who are half way down the race-results to nearer the bottom than the top: 10 to 12 weeks of 10,000 ft, 250,000ft of climb from New Year to BG, 100 hours on the high fells (iirc Splatcher came up with this and I think its a great marker). The 10,000 ft doesn't guarantee success but it gives someone who has it in them a good chance. I did a summary of what I did in 2011 and will look it up. I'm consistently around 60 to 70 % down the results of races but will shuffle up to half way or so in ultras

Super Moderator
    Total days in Lakes recceing: 13
    Total hours on Lakeland fells: 70 (plus another 30-odd local and in the Peak)
    Total 4 hour plus runs (fell): 15
    Total climb (approx but not far off): 150,000 feet
    Total double day weekends (running Saturday and Sunday): 12
    Longest run: 22 miles / 8,000 feet (recce of Lake, Ridge and Wainwight LDWA route) in just under 8 hours
    Fell races / challenges done: Hardmoors 30 (on January 1st!), Hebden LDWA, Wadsworth Trog, 4 Lakeland Passes LDWA, Heptonstall fell race

Thanks for that, that training plan I created reached the 10,000 ft too late. I have to advance everything by about 3 or 4 months!!

I think it all depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are and training those appropriately. I knew that I was (still am!) poor on the really rocky section from Bowfell – Scafell so I spent as much time as I could on that sort of terrain in the lakes. As a result, most of my 10,000 ft / week was done in one or two outings at the weekend with the weeks filled with at least one reps session and a lot of gym work to try and manage my imbalances.
    FWIW, my build up (to a round in late August) looked like this –
    Jan – May Some hill work (around 4-5000 ft / wk on average) but mainly focussed on strengthening and fixing imbalances in the gym.
    May – Aug – Average of 37 m / 10,400 ft over 15 weeks. That climb broke down as : 18,200; 2,400; 10,000; 6,000; 13,800; 9,900; 11,700; 10,500; 11,500; 250 (ill); 10,800; 7,300 19,500; 22,600; 1,700; 600. This included 2 x 30 + mile efforts (Kinder Killer and most of legs 3 and 4 from eskdale) and a lot of back to back 4-6 hour efforts and one 10 day block in the lakes with 8 days running (110 m / 42,000 ft) – I really think that once you can get out day after day with no real recovery required you are ready to go.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Thanks for that, that training plan I created reached the 10,000 ft too late. I have to advance everything by about 3 or 4 months!!
    Pat, there's loads of experience with the BG at Pennine. They're a great bunch and I'm sure would be willing to help with training advice. Similarly on here too. There's no need to "re-invent the wheel"