Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulinclimber View Post
    Good luck Daz. My partner Steve had Paroxysmal AF for a few years which was bearable when it was once a month or so but the incidences increased to several times a week so he went for the Ablation almost exactly a year ago. It seems to have been 100% successful and he has had no episodes since the op. He is now so much more confident and thoroughly enjoying his running again - a real pleasure to witness :-)
    which sort of ablation did he have?
    my insurance lady blanched at the cost of the "cryo" that my consultant seems keen on...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Daz, I was shocked when I read this. Best wishes and hope you get sorted out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    which sort of ablation did he have?
    my insurance lady blanched at the cost of the "cryo" that my consultant seems keen on...
    Steve had the classic ablation with electrodes via a vein in his groin rather than the cryogenic technique. We asked his consultant about cryo but he didn't have experience of that. He was always very positive and reassuring and Steve had no hesitation in deciding to go ahead with the op. He was advised not to run for six weeks afterwards and so he wore his boots the weekend after his op when we reccy'd the Oldham Way Ultra so he wouldn't be tempted to run! Good luck
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Moulinclimber View Post
    He was advised not to run for six weeks afterwards ...
    This isn't to let your heart recovery more to do with allowing all the scar tissue to heal properly.
    I was told the heart was ok, they put me on aspirin for 8 weeks told no exercise for 4 then only light exercise for the next 4. they didn't want any blood clots or scabs breaking away.