Page 260 of 268 FirstFirst ... 160210250258259260261262 ... LastLast
Results 2,591 to 2,600 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

Yeah his speech this morning was pretty good... the one before that (Gove?) was awful though...

A Labour party member summed it up on 5Live this morning by saying that on the political spectrum it was simply a shorter distance for him to move from the centre left ground to Johnson than far left to Corbyn. Whether you feel this election is about Brexit, austerity or any other issues the Labour leadership have alienated a massive portion of the electorate.

Does this result indicate that the dated ideology of marxism can no longer represent the interest of the working person? Perhaps a new way has to be found. If I were a Left ideologist I would be looking at something along the lines of a Citizens Wage. This would allow the dismantling of the welfare state and the stigma that goes with it.
    Something has to change. McDonald was the T.Rex who has been felled by the asteroid!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Well, eventually the majority was achieved.

Brexit will actually happen.

Corbyn will not lead the labour party for much longer.

Boris will be boris the tit.

Next election will see massive swings the otherway.

Have a good Christmas ladies and gentlemen.

And raise a toast to "health and happiness "

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Next election will see massive swings the otherway.
    It's easy to see that happening. I think a lot depends on what happens within the Labour party over the next few months. I'm hoping they realise again that there is a need to appeal to the centre of politics. We certainly need a functional opposition - it's important for democracy.

Looking at historical precedents, you could equally argue it's the start of a three-term spell (Thatcher, Blair).

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It's easy to see that happening. I think a lot depends on what happens within the Labour party over the next few months. I'm hoping they realise again that there is a need to appeal to the centre of politics. We certainly need a functional opposition - it's important for democracy.

Looking at historical precedents, you could equally argue it's the start of a three-term spell (Thatcher, Blair).
    Probably.

The electorate do not behave like ping pong balls but follow trends ("swings") and I suspect, given that the "Shires" will always vote Conservative, floating voters are unlikely to produce the swing necessary to unseat the Conservatives next time, and if the fixed term parliament law has been revoked by then, that may be when the Conservatives choose.

Of course if Labour elect further party leaders who are as detestable as Oswald Mosley it might be time for the long awaited liberal revival or the return of Tony Blair who, like him or not, understood politics as few labour leaders have!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    He made an interesting speech this morning, where he acknowledged the part played by former Labour voters and thanked them for "lending" their vote. He doubled down on his commitment to increase funding for the NHS and policing etc and he will obviously deliver Brexit.

It may well be that many of these voters will return to Labour in five years time but if they do let's hope there isn't still an anti-Semitic, terrorist supporting Marxist leading them. I know it won't be Corbyn but they have plenty more where he came from.
    Watching Sky News this morning and they are interviewing ex lifetime labour voters in some of these incredible swing seats.

Very interesting, they have low expectations. BJ can keep their vote by just doing what he has said he will do.
    Brexit is a given now.
    Better investment in regional infrastructure and services will almost certainly seal the deal for the decade.

Labour will have it's work cut out, especially if they listen to the likes of Paul Mason who was on Newsnight last night with all the answers - just the wrong ones
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Watching Sky News this morning and they are interviewing ex lifetime labour voters in some of these incredible swing seats.

Very interesting, they have low expectations. BJ can keep their vote by just doing what he has said he will do.
    Brexit is a given now.
    Better investment in regional infrastructure and services will almost certainly seal the deal for the decade.

Labour will have it's work cut out, especially if they listen to the likes of Paul Mason who was on Newsnight last night with all the answers - just the wrong ones
    Not everyone who voted Tory wants Brexit, I’m sure many just didn’t trust Corbyn, the mans arrogance is astounding, hopefully now he’ll feel the full weight of a size 9 where the sun don’t shine and be forced out, he should be ashamed that he’s pushed his support to vote against him just to get rid of him

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Not everyone who voted Tory wants Brexit, I’m sure many just didn’t trust Corbyn, the mans arrogance is astounding, hopefully now he’ll feel the full weight of a size 9 where the sun don’t shine and be forced out, he should be ashamed that he’s pushed his support to vote against him just to get rid of him
    I agree and just to be clear, I wasn't trying to say all Tory votes were Brexiteers from the referendum in 2016, they clearly weren't.
    Many leavers voted in NI, in Scotland certainly there are a significant number of SNP Leavers and in England some will still have stuck with Labour - a few of my personal friends did.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Probably.

Of course if Labour elect further party leaders who are as detestable as Oswald Mosley it might be time for the long awaited liberal revival or the return of Tony Blair who, like him or not, understood politics as few labour leaders have!
    Tony Blair, I never did take to the slimy git but he was the first labour PM that I remember not messing up the whole country, he definitely understood a middle way that was not based on envy. I felt he was the first to embrace modern media for his needs and stay ahead of the game - he and his cronies invented spin.
    Other than the unfortunate war mishap he should be remembered as the best labour PM.