Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: e-bike

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Graham and Alberto you're missing the point of what Molehill and Travs are saying. What they both want is some plain advice in English
    Well I would go to Halfords and buy a Boardman - more bangs for your buck because they are made by Halfords, who sell a lot of bikes.

No Boardman is rubbish because Halfords dare not defile the name. You can spend £2000 but also a third of that.

I would say what I intend to do with the bike and the limit of how much I was willing to spend. That determines the geometry and the specification. The "salesman" at Halfords is often the mechanic who fixes bikes. They know what they are talking about. They are usually keen cyclists.

Halfords will have lots of models in stock to try out for size.

That is how I bought my first two Boardmans. I kept them for 9/10 years and never regretted the purchases. I sold them both for 40-45% what I paid for them earlier this year. I had done 10,000 miles on the road bike. It owed me nothing.

I bought a new Boardman (ADV 8.9 "Adventure" bike) this year for when I don't want to take the Bianchi out in the rain.

Cyclists tend to look at other bikes on the road. I have done 30 + miles today on errands and I saw a lot of Boardmans.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-09-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well I would go to Halfords and buy a Boardman - more bangs for your buck because they are made by Halfords, who sell a lot of bikes.

No Boardman is rubbish because Halfords dare not defile the name. You can spend £2000 but also a third of that.

I would say what I intend to do with the bike and the limit of how much I was willing to spend. That determines the geometry and the specification. The "salesman" at Halfords is often the mechanic who fixes bikes. They know what they are talking about. They are usually keen cyclists.

Halfords will have lots of models in stock to try out for size.

That is how I bought my first two Boardmans. I kept them for 9/10 years and never regretted the purchases. I sold them both for 40-45% what I paid for them earlier this year. I had done 10,000 miles on the road bike. It owed me nothing.

I bought a new Boardman (ADV 8.9 "Adventure" bike) this year for when I don't want to take the Bianchi out in the rain.

Cyclists tend to look at other bikes on the road. I have done 30 + miles today on errands and I saw a lot of Boardmans.
    I avoid anything with a Liverpool connection so would not go near a Boardman.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

To be honest, I'm a good 6 months away from potentially wanting/needing a bike for this purpose, so plenty of time to do some research.... My original query was ebike or road-bike, and it seems fairly conclusive that my preferred budget (£500, give or take a couple of hundred either way) I'm looking at the road-bike option.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well that made me laugh.

I once lived in Lancashire but life was so miserable I crossed the Pennines to find milk and honey.
    But Graham, where do you purchase your milk and honey ..... the Ilkley branch of Booths - a Lancashire firm, based in Preston?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    But Graham, where do you purchase your milk and honey ..... the Ilkley branch of Booths - a Lancashire firm, based in Preston?
    Ha ha!

My family on my mother's side were from Preston: Cowpes, Ridings,..I think they owned Walton-le-Dale.

My mother has a silver loose-leaf tea measuring spoon celebrating Booths Centenary in 1947; and I went to school in Bolton and, as old men do,last year I went back to revisit my youth!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-09-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I avoid anything with a Liverpool connection so would not go near a Boardman.
    I think you will find they are manufactured somewhat nearer to the South China, rather than the Irish, Sea.

Earlier this evening whilst sat outside the Lathkil Hotel in the sunshine, enjoying a Farmers Blonde a couple of blokes pulled up on their bikes and leaned them against a wall some distance away, before coming to sit at the next table.
    I immediately recognised them as Matthew Parris and his "husband" who live in a nearby village. We exchanged pleasantries and continued to enjoy the evening sunshine.

After less that an hour they walked back to their bikes and as they cycled past us I realised that they were on E-bikes. I shouted "hey Matthew that's cheating" to which he replied "I know" and off they went.
    I then walked across to the bar and found a glove on the road, so I picked it up and put it in my pocket.
    About 5 mins later I was walking out of the pub with my pint and saw Matthew's other half come around the corner on his bike.

I just stood on the side of the road and held out the glove like a soigneur holding a bidon and he grabbed it, without stopping, giving a cheery thanks as he went.

I would not be surprised if this little incident makes it into Parris's Times column, as trivial local village happenings have previously.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I think I'll just do what I did as a kid and pick the one in the colour I like most! Sounds like it could save a lot of hassle..!
    A colleague at the hospital where I worked apparently chose a car in a similar way. She took her battered old Nissan in for a service/MOT and they told her she was wasting money keeping it on the road. The conversation went something like:
    "I'll need a new one then - that one looks nice - I'll take it."
    "Which model Madam?"
    "That one, the orange one."

Sold!

Master
    Here you go Travs a Dawes Galaxy listed 400 notes and another for £275 plus others :-

https://www.resurrectionbikes.org.uk...ry/mens-bikes/

Resurrection bikes depot would be an easy diversion on your way home from the Lakes
    Last edited by JohnK; 14-09-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

I would not be surprised if this little incident makes it into Parris's Times column, as trivial local village happenings have previously.
    If so do tell.

I was once at the Widdop Moor race which starts at a pub (Pack Horse) in the middle of nowhere and portly Roy
    Hattersley was there trenching. Perhaps he had never seen fell runners before because his next newspaper column, The Guardian?, was all about these strange creatures he had encountered outside the Westminster bubble.