Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: fat camp

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well according to the Copenhagen interpretation we have to believe that Noel is both fat and not as we don't know if he has eaten the chocolate. However opening the door interferes with experiment so we are just going to have to leave him in there. We may as well go Cadbury then and put a bottle or two of decent malt behind the bar in the masters lounge with the remainder of the research grant.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    My father died in 2015. I had a feeling that he would have been 90 today and checked on line - sure enough he was born on the 25th of February 1932. I also discovered he wrote a book called Understanding Quantum Mechanics, published in 1968. Well I never.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    My father died in 2015. I had a feeling that he would have been 90 today and checked on line - sure enough he was born on the 25th of February 1932. I also discovered he wrote a book called Understanding Quantum Mechanics, published in 1968. Well I never.
    So he was a physicist whereas you are a physician.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So he was a physicist whereas you are a physician.
    Correct. I did consider doing physics, and my first year at university allowed for this - doing mathematics and physics rather than the simplified basic science the medical students did - but in second year I opted for medicine, as, whilst I loved physics, I did not enjoy mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    That's right. Especially if your mate Wigner keeps an eye on you while you're eating/not eating the bar!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner%27s_friend
    Ha! Wigner's friend, you forget about all these things when you're not reading. Quantum mechanics has always been described as the point where science meets spirit, and in the case of Wigner's paradox it demonstrates to me the spiritual idea of one person's truth not being another person's truth. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there's no such thing as ugly, mr brightside is a slow runner; it seems to promote the ancient idea of nonduality.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

This seems somewhat ironic in view of what you said four days ago. Probably means you've got another book to read too ..

I enjoy reading about Quantum Mechanics - of course I do not understand it - famously, it is said that if you think you do, you don't. My favourite writer on this at the moment is Carlo Rovelli - he is very readable and his coverage of the topic is wide ranging. Give him a try if you haven't yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This seems somewhat ironic in view of what you said four days ago. Probably means you've got another book to read too ..
    Tongue in cheek title?