Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Xmas List

Re: Xmas List

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    well, lola on the christmas list would be very nice, however, such a gift must just remain in my dreams, but oh boy, what dreams they are
    That's another reason you aren't running downhill properly...........

Not enough practice and too many dreams of Lola.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Apparently there is a shortage of turkeys. It's all over the news like some sort of disaster.

I'd have thought this fortuitous turn of events a major blessing no less, a gift from the gods. Instead of eating meat that tastes like sawdust for your snap, you can now just eat a leg of lamb or a nice gammon joint and save your bowels the trauma of the worst, driest meat in history. Just get a flipping medium doner and whack it in the oven.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Apparently there is a shortage of turkeys. It's all over the news like some sort of disaster.

I'd have thought this fortuitous turn of events a major blessing no less, a gift from the gods. Instead of eating meat that tastes like sawdust for your snap, you can now just eat a leg of lamb or a nice gammon joint and save your bowels the trauma of the worst, driest meat in history. Just get a flipping medium doner and whack it in the oven.
    Turkeys aren't all bad. On the rare occasions when I have been to our local Toby Carvery, I have usually asked for the turkey wing, which has some really tasty meat. Our local butcher sometimes has turkey drumsticks, which they sell ridiculously cheaply: the meat is again moist and tasty, and our cat really likes it. She sometimes lets her humans have some. Obviously I wouldn't subject the cat to the cruelty of eating turkey breast meat.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I've got an Xmas Dinner next week and I'm having Sea Bass.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    We rarely have a turkey - a strange old bird to cook and you will never achieve perfection if you leave it whole. I used to bone out the legs and stuff them with sausage meat, herbs and the inards and cook them slowly before finishing off with the breast and wings left on the bone.

This year we are hopefully having a family meal. Mrs S and myself, 2 daughters and partners and my mum. After the last few years of 2 or 3 for dinner it will be lovely whatever we have but to suit all tastes I'm having to conjure up 3 mains:
    Beef short ribs cooked very long and slow with shallots and root veg in red wine which I'll do on Christmas Eve and then just reduce the sauce and reheat on the day.
    A duck - straight roast with all the trimmings.
    One veggie dish as yet undecided but it will involve chestnuts and a squash from the garden.
    Plenty of seasonal veg (red cabbage, sprouts etc), roast spuds and parsnips dug up on the morning before.
    Last edited by PeteS; 30-11-2022 at 11:58 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    The Hairy Bikers' nut roast takes some beating as a xmas veggie dish - or a veggie dish anytime for that matter.

I only eat meat if the alternative would be hunger or extreme boredom, or it would mess things up for others. Fish is another matter altogether - love it, eat it several times a week - my favourite is mackerel.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    The Hairy Bikers' nut roast takes some beating as a xmas veggie dish - or a veggie dish anytime for that matter.

I only eat meat if the alternative would be hunger or extreme boredom, or it would mess things up for others. Fish is another matter altogether - love it, eat it several times a week - my favourite is mackerel.
    We also eat more fish than meat, and mackerel is a favourite. I like herrings as well, but my son complains about the bones.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

This rules out the possibility of that ridiculous meal of bird in a bird in a bird...

Apparently the largest recorded version was made in the 18th century and consisted of 17 birds: a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an Ortolan Bunting and a Garden Warbler
    Although I think great bustards are even rarer than turkeys at the moment.

Not a problem, we'll use a Kori Bustard instead. The forum christmas lunch is coming along nicely, i suggest the Wansfell race HQ as a venue. Bustards, Warblers, oily fishes...it'll be a feast to end all feasts.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mike t View Post
    the hairy bikers' nut roast takes some beating as a xmas veggie dish - or a veggie dish anytime for that matter.

As they say

"MEAT IS MURDER
    FISH IS JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE"

Am Yisrael Chai