Quote Originally Posted by spidershankes View Post
'Having a laugh', in the colloquial sense of just having lighthearted fun, not in the sense of messing around irresponsibly.

Not every race is a Wasdale or a Coniston Gullies, there are easier, shorter races that are perfectly suitable for somebody just wanting to have a go without needing to be in much more danger than going for a run around the park.
Language is a devil isn't it.

When I read the thread, I took "having a laugh" to mean; turning up to a race with the sole goal for your race to be having a nice enjoyable time of it. Approaching the race in full acknowledgement of the seriousness of the undertaking and the prevailing/forecast weather. To enjoy the challenge of the whole undertaking but coast round at say 80% effort, have a bit of chat/banter with fellow runners and slow down (possibly stop!) to enjoy any particularly special views. Not really caring about where you place positionwise in the race. Doing the race because sometimes it is nice to do something as a shared experience.

That is in contrast to "racing" which would be as above, but instead of coasting it, going as hard as possible all the way. Storming the descents over rough ground to try and gain a place or two and finishing in a sweaty, broken heap on the floor. Arguably I'm "safer" when "having a laugh" than "racing", as everything is done in a more considered way.

I can see how some people might understand "having a laugh" to mean a couple of mates in the pub, after having 5 pints thinking, hey that fell race tomorrow is meant to be well 'ard, let's have a crack, it'll be a larf, don't worry about that compass getting lost will make for a bigger tale to tell afterwards. With that understanding of "having a laugh", I agree with WP.