Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Women winning outright

Eve Whitaker was second overall at Grisedale Horseshoe yesterday.
    First time I've run it, what a fantastic race, felt like it had a bit of everything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    Eve Whitaker was second overall at Grisedale Horseshoe yesterday.
    First time I've run it, what a fantastic race, felt like it had a bit of everything.
    Well done that lass - and to all who took part. That last climb is a bit of a bugger.

She looked like she'd been for a stroll in the park as she came down the final descent too, looked fresh as a daisy! What a runner she is.

Still - her genetic lineage is pretty special. That counts as doping right??

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A particularly remarkable performance, considering Eve Whitaker's age (18), on one of the toughest AM races (which completely exhausted me on the one occasion I did it).

At the other end of the age scale, I see that Lesley Malarkey also achieved a very respectable time.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    I've just seen a report of another female winner in a fairly tough trail race: https://www.malvernobserver.co.uk/ne...even-sins-run/ , https://my3.raceresult.com/228278/RR...test=0&lang=en (if you can find your way through the rather complicated way the results are set out). Anne Kenchington has form; she was the outright winner of the 2017 Waseley Wobbler (reported earlier in this thread, although I didn't mention her name there).
    Jorge Luis Borges

Eve Pannone of Eden Runners ran in the open category at Hodgson Brothers Relay yesterday.... Eden finishing quite high up, 8th or something.

Caroline completed the task a few weeks later at Toms Bransdale Fell Race in June claiming the outright win she was the best runner on the day at Whorlton Run save for the nav error 😩

Master
    The inaugural Talgarth Fell race has been won by Bethan Logan, with Rhian Robert (FV50) in third place. Exactly 50% of the 20 finishers were women; such a ratio is not too uncommon in trail races, but very unusual in fell races. Bethan was also one of only three competitors under 40 years old (all of them women). Results: https://www.racetek-live.co.uk/websi...VkVltlOm39lXp-
    Last edited by anthonykay; 05-05-2024 at 05:01 PM.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    There's not much difference in speed and strength between males and females in the youngest junior age groups. I was watching Becky Willoughby's videos of the Coniston Gullies races, where she was positioned a little way up the ascent route (and so towards the end of the descent). In the under-9's, five girls came past on the ascent before the first boy, although on the descent there were two boys in the leading positions, ahead of five girls. In the under 12's, Bleu Bailey was leading on the descent, although the results show that she was just beaten by a boy at the finish.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    There's not much difference in speed and strength between males and females in the youngest junior age groups. I was watching Becky Willoughby's videos of the Coniston Gullies races, where she was positioned a little way up the ascent route (and so towards the end of the descent). In the under-9's, five girls came past on the ascent before the first boy, although on the descent there were two boys in the leading positions, ahead of five girls. In the under 12's, Bleu Bailey was leading on the descent, although the results show that she was just beaten by a boy at the finish.
    I think you have to be careful because fell running is a tad niche and fields are small.

At BBH when we were 3 times junior fell winners, we had a young lady who won the U11 and then U13 Cross Challenge at Liverpool 4 years running as well as the overall Cross Challenge series on at least one occasion.
    She was a multiple FRA Junior Champion and went on to win England Junior vests.

She never beat a male junior in such races. Occasionally at a local fun run she might. Between age 10 and 14 she was among the top 10 female endurance athletes at 1200m up to 5K.
    n
    Young Bleu might be in the top 20 nationally in her age group, and the young man who pipped her maybe not be inside the top 100.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell