Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Buttermere Sailbeck

Well done Pete. I had a look at the forecast for today this morning and it looked like it was going to be tough going. I find the descent to Rigg Beck tricky to do quickly, steep, slippy, the odd rocky section and narrow in places through the heather. I have to say I've usually stuck to the zig zags most of the way up Sail then cut the corner on the last couple. At least then I can run a bit of it. Might try going up to the right next time though.

Results

https://www.kongadventure.com/wp-con...-results-6.pdf

A decent forum showing. DanGilbert top 5, myself and PeteS comfortably top half (i'm not yet shown on the results... my time didn't upload on the App until last night).

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Updated results, now including Travs.

https://www.kongadventure.com/wp-con...-results-7.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I envy you encountering this race for the first time.

It is a great route and the most challenging Medium. I first ran it in 1988. The climb to Ard Crags clears the head, you have a wonderful descent to CP 2 knowing you have to climb all the way back up to Causey Pike which you see to your left as you descend. After a 180 degree turn you follow the path up through the heather and then from Causey follow the undulating ridge*, with splendid views to left and right up to Crag Hill. (* The ridge line is of course very exposed in foul weather and that was presumably instrumental in Brian Belfield's death). Then after Crag Hill, ensuring you get the right line to Whiteless Pike and don't drift to the right (or left),you have a wonderful descent.

It was always my favourite race, fell running doesn't get any better and when you finish Sailbeck you know you've been fell running.
    I have been reading this thread as part of my preparation for this years race, which I have not done before, as it is the 4th Championships counter.

Plenty of interesting info and comment to mull over. I certainly won't be underestimating the challenge as I have not done a long Lakeland climb for many years. I am really looking forward to it and hope to post a decent time so that I can call myself a fell runner.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Also, does anyone know if the camping referred to in the race info is on an established open to all campsite or a field available just for the race weekend.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I have been reading this thread as part of my preparation for this years race, which I have not done before, as it is the 4th Championships counter.

Plenty of interesting info and comment to mull over. I certainly won't be underestimating the challenge as I have not done a long Lakeland climb for many years. I am really looking forward to it and hope to post a decent time so that I can call myself a fell runner.
    Enjoy. My favourite and probably one of the toughest AMs there is. Great running throughout but the run in to Buttermere from Eel crag is another level. Fell running at it's best.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Its certainly a toughie.

That climb up to Causey Pike takes longer than you feel it should!